This is by far the best Apple Pie filling I have ever tasted! And using Stevia drops makes it a healthier choice if you are watching your sugar intake.
Apples are almost in season right now (August-November) so we decided to go apple picking. The farm we visited has about 2 weeks left until the apples are ripe, but we did find a few that were ready to be picked and baked!
We made a large batch of this apple pie filling and made mini pies. Half was later pureed for apple sauce and later used as filling in these homemade apple pie pop-tarts.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup of Turbino Sugar (or 1 cup if not using Stevia Drops)
- 25 drops of liquid Stevia (or omit if using 1 cup of sugar)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 5 small Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup cornstarch (or if you do not have cornstarch you can use ⅓ cup of sifted flour adding slowly)
- In a large saucepan combine all ingredients except vanilla and apples. Stir over medium-low heat until thickens (about 2 minutes), constantly stirring. Add apples and vanilla and simmer on low about 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve.
- For applesauce, put in a blender and puree until smooth. For pie, add to pie dish and cover with a pastry top. Bake according to pastry top directions.