I just love Fourth of July BBQ’s and parties! Another awesome excuse to get together with family and friends. What are your plans for celebrating this year? Growing up we always celebrated on the Jersey Shore beaches. And my favorite is still celebrating snuggled in the sand. The past few years we have lived in places that we could see the fireworks from our second floor, so we have hosted small family gatherings. But this year, it might need to be back by the beach! But what to make for the firework celebration?
I often make quiche for breakfast and dinners. I am a big quiche recipes fan as they are simple to put together, semi-healthy and can be made in advance. A breakfast quiche is an easy meal to take to a Fourth of July party since it only takes one dish! I have made a few other quiches but this one is my FAVORITE. It is packed full of protein with non fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs and is incredibly fluffy. I chose to use low fat and non fat cheeses to decrease the fat content.
If you don’t have a quiche pan, Food and Wine has a list of a few other pans that can also be used.
*Tip for Kale: Buy lots of fresh Kale, wash it, dry it and then freeze it in a Ziploc bag. That way it is always available to use for any breakfast quiche, stuffing, salad, or rice dish!
If I am not making this breakfast quiche for breakfast or for a party I make it during nap time, let it cool, store it and reheat it for dinner at 325 degrees F for 10-20 minutes. A great make-ahead one dish dinner!
- 1 frozen pie crust, thawed out for about 1 hr.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped Kale
- 1 red or yellow pepper, diced finely
- ¾ cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Feta (I went with non fat for this dish)
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup gluten free flour mix or unbleached all-purpose flour
- Thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place pie crust in baking dish as instructed on the box.
- Layer the bottom of your quiche with Kale and Peppers.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, Feta and Mozzarella cheese. Add flour, salt and black pepper. Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute or until well blended. Pour the egg mixture over the baking dish that is filled with vegetables.
- Bake about 45 minutes until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with Thyme.