Flourless chocolate cookies in 2 easy steps! Egg whites folded with ground chocolate and hazelnuts creates a moist heavenly double chocolate cookie that is packed with protein!
Happy Merry “after Christmas” y’all! I hope you are not sick of cookie recipes quite yet. After all, New Years celebrating is next!
Any plans to roll in the new year? For us we like stay cozy inside with our little family. I know, I know… really exciting. My hubby and I stay up late watching movies until the ball drops. Once that ball drops we write out our new years goals and look at our lists we wrote the previous year. It is really fun to see what goals were met and what might transfer to the next year.
Only this year we decided to change it to New Years Objectives rather than Goals.
Goals can decrease drive when they are not met. But Objectives are a different story. It means the same as a goal only an objective as a adjective means: (source).
Objectives take off internal pressure which sounds way better to me! Anyways my husband and I have so much fun putting together a list of things we want to accomplish. And look back at all the previous lists we wrote out. And during our crazy list making night and celebration of the new year I am sure we will be eating a delicious batch of these flourless chocolate cookies!
I planned to get this recipe to you sooner but with two kids home and holiday fun going on… well it just did not happen. So guess we all get to eat these scrumptious flourless cookies now!
We made them for Christmas and it was one of my boys favorite cookies! They choose these flourless chocolate chip cookies over my adorable decorated gingerbread cookies and even chocolate chip cookies! Guess what else is so great? There is no guilt because they are make with protein packed egg whites, hazelnuts, maple syrup and and bunch of chocolate cocoa powder. Leave out the chocolate chips for a lower fat, dairy free cookie. Cookies shouldn’t make you feel gulty anyways. Life is too short not to enjoy delicious cookies! Just make sure to remember, “Everything just in moderation!”
How to make egg white & hazelnut flourless chocolate cookies:
STEP 1: Soak the nuts and dates in water for about 3 hours. In a blender combine the hazelnuts and cocoa until super fine. Add the dates, water, maple syrup, vanilla and blend until as fine as you can get it.
STEP 2: Whip egg whites in an electric mixer until super fluffy, about 10 minutes. Fold in the date and nut mixture. Add the chocolate chips and fold in. Scoop on a prepared pan and bake for about 28 minutes at 35o degrees F.
I hope that is not too confusing and I probably should have done a video but I assure you these are easy to make even if scrolling through the recipe they seem hard at first. It is just a process of whisking the egg whites first, using a food processor or blender for the nuts and sugars, then folding them all together. One that is done it is easy-peasy baking time!
These cookies are truly amazing! There is no flour, no gluten, no processed sugars (except that of the chocolate chips) and they are packed with protein! If that doesn’t convince you enough I assure you these flourless chocolate cookies are also fluffy, chewy, chocolaty and delectable in bold sweet flavors!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups filtered water
- 4 egg whites
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 6 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup snowcaps or milk chocolate chips
- Soak the dates and hazelnuts in 2 cups of water for 3-4 hours and set aside until ready.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then line a baking pan with parchment paper or silicone cookie liner.
- Once the dates and nuts are soaked separate them from the water. Add the dates and hazelnuts to a blender then add 1 Tablespoon of the reserved water. Add salt, vanilla and maple syrup and blend. Add the melted coconut oil and blend until smooth. If needed add one more Tablespoon of the reserved water.
- In an electric mixing bowl add the egg whites and whisk on high for about 10 minutes until it is fluffy and frothy. Turn off the mixer and fold in the cocoa powder and date and nut blended mixture. Once blended fold in the chocolate chips or snowcaps.
- Scoop 1 Tablespoon of the mixture onto the prepared baking pan about 1 inch apart. Bake for 28 minutes until slightly browned on the top and edges. Let cool 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.