Similar to Trader Joe’s strawberry cereal bars, these oatmeal breakfast bars are made with all natural wholesome ingredients! The dough is gluten free and dairy free with mixing and rolling done in as little as 10 minutes! They are sure to win over the whole family!
Ya know those awesome strawberry Trader Joe’s cereal bars and NutriGrain bars that kids love? They are so soft, sweet and tasty and full of added vitamins and minerals. Well these oat breakfast bars taste just like them! And they have no added fillers or preservatives like store bought granola bars.
When strolling down the grocery store aisles with children it is either one of two things: a comedy show or a freakin’ nightmare. A while ago the grocery story was graced with both. A comedy show followed by a screaming nightmare and back to the comedy show.
What started as elevator music playing in my head and graceful children with me shortly went sour. My 2 year old decided he did not want to be in the shopping cart any longer. So I let the wild animal out of his cage and that is when the comedy show hit.
Suddenly I see an open box of gummy’s flying into one of the freezers that is in the middle of an aisle. As I am fishing out gummy fruit snacks, I turn around to the 2 year old with a 24 pack of eggs over his head walking towards the shopping cart ready to throw them in. I quickly grabbed them just in the nick of time, put them away, only to turn around to my 5 year old adding cookies and chocolates to the cart. As I am fishing them out I hear “Ma’am, ma’am! Your son!” as she pointing to the 2 year old climbing a ladder! As I race to grab him and set him down both boys finished their grand finale with doing downward dog in the middle of the grocery story.
The clerk clearly saw I was completely drained and it was time to leave. When I tried to leave and get my little monsters in the cart they outnumbered me screaming with a pitch that makes you quiver when clawing a chalkboard. A wonderful employee asked if she could grab them a granola bar. That granola bar saved the day! It was like the snickers commercial where the boys were immediately back to sweet pleasant happy selves.
These oatmeal breakfast bars have that same effect! They are an energizing snack for when hangry meltdowns hits and you need a pick me up. And they are made of nutrient dense and fiber rich oats leaving you fuller for longer!
They are perfect for everyone, not just kids or families. I like to make a big batch and individually package each oat bar into individual baggies. That way they stay moist and I can throw them in lunches or eat as a guilt-free dessert treat when I am craving something sweet!
How to make strawberry jam filled oat breakfast bars:
Step 1: Blend, Melt and Mix!
Melt the coconut oil for 30 seconds in the microwave. Set aside as you will want to add this last to your oat bar dough.
In a small bowl mix the wet ingredients together then add the dry and then the melted coconut oil. Mix well until all the moisture is absorbed into the oat flour. Let set for about 5-10 minutes before rolling out.
Step 2: Roll and fill the dough.
Roll the dough out into a square shape in between two pieces of wax paper to be about 1/4 inch thick. The dough will be tricky to work with so you will need to be gentle when rolling it over the jelly filling. Once the dough is flat, using a knife, slice it into eight equal squares removing the edges for an extra one or two more. Add the jelly or jam and leave about 1 inch on the edges for folding over. This also helps the jam not to squish out.
Step 3: Bake and add flax seed meal.
Bake the strawberry bars for about 15-20 minutes. Drizzle that gorgeous flax seed meal on top for extra texture, fiber and omega nutrients! Then transfer the bars to a cooling rack.
Flax seed is awesome to add on top as it adds vital vitamins and minerals. The best way to use flax seeds are to grind them right before use to get the maximum absorbency of the nutrients. If you do not have time, adding already ground flax seeds are fine.
Once you bake them let them cool for a bit. These strawberry breakfast bars are so delicious warm!
These bars are: light, moist, savory, comforting, soft, fluffy and delicious!
Feel free to play with the filling. Fill them with your favorite jams like blueberry, apple, orange marmalade, raspberry or fig!
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt (or use vegan for dairy free)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup of oat flour
- ½ cup gluten free flour mix
- ¼ cup strawberry jam (or your favorite flavor)
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
- Heat the oven to 350 Degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To melt the coconut oil, heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds then set it aside until ready to add. In a small bowl whisk together the Greek yogurt (or vegan yogurt) and egg. Then add the coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk until smooth and there are no chunks of baking powder or soda. Add the oat flour, gluten free flour mix and coconut oil and mix until a dough forms. Let set for about 5-10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface or in between two pieces of wax paper, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick or 10 x 12 square. Using a knife or pastry scraper slice the dough into 8 equal squares. Remove the extra edges to save for 1-2 more bars.
- Spread an even layer of jam in the center of each square filling it lengthwise down the center. Leave a 1-inch border on either side so it does not squish out the sides. Carefully using your hands or a pastry scraper lift one of the sides over, then the next overlapping the edges and over the filling. Flip each pastry onto the baking sheet so that the seam side is down. Push and close any openings with hands to seal before baking. Repeat with any extra dough from the edges until the majority of the dough is used.
- Bake the bars for about 15 minutes until they puff slightly and are set. Sprinkle the tops with the flax seed meal. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool. Store in an airtight container or in mini plastic baggies for convenient single servings on the go.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 9 g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 6 g||31 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 23 mg||8 %|
|Sodium 145 mg||6 %|
|Potassium 23 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 34 g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||11 %|
|Sugars 14 g|
|Protein 4 g||7 %|
|Vitamin A||1 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
More healthy breakfast bars: