With Valentines Day right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to make a healthy snack decorated festively with hearts!
First, I made some homemade popcorn with 2 Tbsp. of coconut oil and about 1 cup of popcorn kernels. Combine coconut oil and three kernels in a pot. Cover and cook on medium-high heat until the kernels pop. When they pop, remove your pot from from the heat and take out the 3 popped kernels. Then add 1 cup of fresh kernels to the oil and cover. Let it sit for 30 seconds off the heat. Then add your pot back to the heat and cook on medium-high for about 2 minutes for the kernels to pop. Remove from heat after 2 minutes to insure they don’t burn. They will keep popping.
Then separate 7 cups of your popcorn into a fresh bowl. Add sunflower kernels and your marshmallow mixture. Combine and let cool. Once it is cooled you can roll it into balls and place in muffin liners. Festive hearts seemed like the perfect touch to sprinkle on top! Store in an airtight container lined with wax or parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together.
I am not a fan of processed foods and have a hard time letting myself buy Rice Krispies treats- even though they are delicious. These Popcorn Marshmallow Treats have tons of fiber and protein from nuts, a treat you can feel good about feeding the family.
- 7 cups of plain popcorn
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups of mini marshmallows
- ½ cup of sunflower kernels
- Sprinkles (optional for decorating)
- In a large bowl, combine popcorn and sunflower kernels. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour melted marshmallows over popcorn mixture and stir until completely blended. Let cool. Once cooled, form into round balls.
- Using a muffin pan, line with baking cups. Place each popcorn ball in a baking cup. Sprinkle with hearts or extra nuts.