Well I wish I was blogging more about our house projects going on but they seem to be taking FOREVER! I started this blog in order to document the ongoing process of remodeling our “fixer upper” and ways that I like to stay organized and healthy. Food is a huge part of that and with a toddler I cook ALL OF THE TIME! So…..
Getting kids to eat vegetables is pretty tricky. I find myself always saying “eat your vegetables” … pretty religiously. Kids love pasta so we are always making it with loads of sauce and lots of vegetables. The vegetables have to be chopped very fine for picky eaters to be more pleasant about it.
We made this vegetable packed organic dinner last night which was easy to make and cost efficient.
$3 Organic Dinner:
Sauteed Zucchini, Peppers and Onion Pasta Dinner – Serves 4
TOTAL COST: $2.78 per person
$1.55 – 8 oz. Brown Rice Pasta Shells, (bag is 16 oz., used half a bag for this recipe) $3.10/bag
$1.15 – 1 Organic Green Pepper, sliced
$1.00 – 1 Organic White Onion, sliced and chopped
$1.00 – 1 Large Zucchini, sliced into fours and diced finely
$0.25 – 2 cloves Organic garlic, chopped finely
$0.75 – 3 tbsp olive oil, separated
$3.00 – 1 26 oz. Organic Pasta Sauce (we like Trader Joe’s)
$1.44 – $5.00/bag Organic Rudy’s Spelt Bread (14 servings per bag)
$1.00 – 1/4 cup Slivered Parmesan Cheese ($3.00/container from Trader Joe’s)
I make this very saucy and we had some left over sauce. So if you have more mouths to feed, just add more veggies and noodles.
- 8 oz. Brown Rice Pasta Shells, (bag is usually 16 oz., used half a bag for this recipe)
- 1 Organic Green Pepper, sliced
- 1 Organic White Onion, sliced and chopped
- 1 Large Zucchini, sliced into fours and diced finely
- 2 cloves Organic garlic, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 1 26 oz. Organic Pasta Sauce (we like Trader Joe's)
- 4 slices of Organic Rudy's Spelt Bread
- ¼ cup Slivered Parmesan Cheese ($3.00/container from Trader Joe's)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook noodles as directed.
- In large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil on medium heat. Add zucchini, peppers, onion, garlic. Cover with lid stirring occasionally for about 7 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add pasta sauce and noodles to your veggie mixture.
- Place 4 slices of bread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the bread with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and ¼ cup slivered Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 minutes till toasted and cheese melts.
More Inexpensive Vegetable Pasta Dishes: