Delicious crispy Parmesan baked zucchini chips (courgette crisps or zucchini fries) baked with egg, flour and gluten free bread crumbs. Serve this healthy baked summer squash as an appetizer, healthy snack or side dish!
Why when you have children time seems to fly by faster than the blink of an eye? Chase is turning 5 next month and Curren will be 2 in a couple of weeks! WOWZA! It feels like we were just in the hospital bringing our little bundles of joy home… managing “the baby stage.”
When thinking about babies I think about all the homemade baby food I so carefully pureed and strained. Zucchini, carrots and sweet potatoes were steamed and blending so carefully together. When it came to eating pureed zucchini, usually more of it was smothered all over the kitchen than in mouths. Then their teeth came in and we introduced more texture. Zucchini was perfect for chopping into soft baby bites. Plus squash really does not taste like much so it can easily be mixed with almost anything. Now that the boys taste buds are more advance their preference of choice would be anything fried, breaded and with cheese. In fact it was funny, the other night we had fish and Chase kept telling he just likes the outside of the fish. I could not understand at all what that meant. The scales? A marinade? What the heck? Till I discovered we had fish the week before and he only liked the breaded part (total AHHHH! moment when you and the toddler communicate on the same page!).
These Parmesan breaded zucchini bites have been a winner with the boys! They do not just eat the breaded outside- they eat the whole squash! These healthy baked zucchini chips are like potato chips because you just can’t have one! Move over fatty French fries and onion rings and Hello! delicious crispy Parmesan breaded zucchini!
While the boys and I were in Virginia visiting family my sister and I made these breaded Parmesan baked zucchini chips. Our nieces and nephew gave my mom the most mouth-watering ginormous marrow from their garden. It was just begging to be sliced, breaded and devoured! The key to making these Parmesan baked zucchini chips extra crispy on the outside is salt. Slice the zucchini into about ¼ inch slices then sprinkle salt on them to pull out extra water. Let the salt set for about 20 minutes then tap with a paper towel to remove the excess water that settles on the top.
Zucchini’s are packed with essential vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and is high in fiber. And they are also great for eye health, can help cure asthma and when eaten regularly lowers homocysteine levels. They are powerhouse vegetable all around!
How to make Parmesan breaded baked zucchini chips:
First slice and salt the zucchini. Let set for 20 minutes then absorb the extra water on top with a paper towel.
Set out three bowls. One of each: whipped egg, flour and bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan cheese and seasoning.
Dip zucchini slices into the flour first covering until fully coated. Then dip it into the egg followed by the bread crumb and cheese mixture.
Bake the Parmesan breaded zucchini at 400 degrees for 10 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with your favorite dip! Or, my mom’s suggestion, layer it with ricotta cheese and tomato sauce and turn it into zucchini Parmesan! (I’ll save that one for another post:-).)
This time of the year is time to start planning a couple of epic birthday parties, it means time to plan an epic party menu! Chase wants a STAR WARS theme. Curren can’t quite talk but is obsessed with the word “Doggie”. That being said, he’s getting a dog themed party. One the menu? For sure these healthy gluten free baked zucchini chips for the kids probably displayed with a gorgeous zucchini flower!
- 1 large zucchini
- 4 eggs, whipped
- 1 cup of gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt (plus more for preparing zucchini)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Slice zucchini into ¼ inch slices. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Lay the zucchini slices on the pan and sprinkle with salt. Let set 20 minutes then absorb the extra water on top with a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl add the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add Italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder. Toss to combine.
- In another small bowl add whipped eggs. Put flour in another small bowl.
- Dip zucchini slices (one at a time) into the flour first covering until fully coated. Then dip it into the egg followed by the bread crumb and cheese mixture. Set on the baking sheet. Repeat for each zucchini slice (flour, egg, bread crumb and cheese mixture).
- Bake the Parmesan breaded zucchini at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve right away.
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes: