Crunchy and loaded with mouthwatering texture and subtly sweet juices, this cucumber salad recipe is sure to have your taste buds yearning for more! Oh, and it takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish!
This delicious dish mixes cucumber slices with fresh dill, rice vinegar, and shallots for a refreshing summer salad. Because when it's barbecue season, nothing says summer greater than enjoying the labors of the earths' fresh produce – cucumber! They are crispy, crunchy, hydrating and super delicious to serve as a side dish.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- a great way to hydrate the body and aid in weight loss – cucumbers are made up of 95% water and are low in calories and rich in potassium and fiber. This can help flush out toxins and fill you up on a low calorie and low fat food. [source] Eat smarter, without feeling deprived 😊.
- paleo, vegan and naturally gluten-free – the main ingredient is cucumber and they absorb so much flavor from the dressing, and herbs, that not much extra is needed, making this a light dish suitable for most diets
- it's a fuss-free and fail-proof salad recipe! – My mother-in-law always used to cringe at the thought of having to bring a salad to a family gathering because she would get overwhelmed and feel like they are far too complicated. The struggle was in how to mix and match what. This cucumber salad recipe is fuss-free and fail-proof, so much anyone can make it! It only has 2 main ingredients plus the extra flavors that make it finger-licking good!
WHAT GOES INTO THIS RECIPE
- salad – the bulk of salad consists of cucumbers, fresh dill weed, and diced shallots
- dressing – olive oil, rice vinegar, salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
STEP 1. Wash, cut of the ends and peel the cucumbers (I love these peelers).
STEP 2. Slice them into thin slices and place in a large bowl.
STEP 3. On top of the cucumbers, add the dill and shallots.
STEP 4. In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the cucumber salad, then mix well to combine.
FAQS and EXPERT TIPS
English, European, Hothouse cucumbers are great to use and have a thinner layer of skin with minimal seeds. They are sometimes pricier, and wrapped in plastic at the grocery store. American Slicing cucumbers can also be used (which is shown here). I have made this cucumber salad with all of these variety's which work well. I do not recommend using pickling cucumbers or lemon cucumbers as they contain too many seeds.
I do not recommend making this recipe a day in advance. the cucumbers can get soggy and mushy. Instead, make it up to 2-3 hours prior to serving.
Consume within 1 day to avoid it turning too watery. This is best served fresh.
You can also add crumbled feta, goat cheese, corn, or grape tomatoes to this recipe for a little variety!
If you make this easy potato salad recipe from DelightfulMomFood I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
- Slice off the ends of the cucumbers and peel them. Cut them into thin rounds and place them in a large bowl. Dice the shallots and dill and add them to the bowl.
- In a small bowl make the dressing by whisking together the rice vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the cucumber salad and toss to coat. Season with more salt to taste if needed.
- Serve right away or within a few hours, chilled.