Happy Halloween with Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal Spider Web Pancakes! We have been baking a lot lately- mostly with a favorite holiday ingredient, pumpkin! On my list was pumpkin pancakes to make for Halloween morning. I made these ahead of time so they would be ready to quickly heat up in the morning or pack in lunches for the day. These make your house smell so much like fall!
For the spider web décor, just grab chocolate syrup and swirl it in three circles. Using a toothpick, spread the circles outward to create a web. It is best to do this after your pancake is cooked while it is fresh off the stove top and still warm so that the chocolate absorbs into the pancake.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling or mix)
- 2 eggs medium
- ¼ cup almond milk or any dairy-free milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 cup gluten-free flour recipe tested with Bob's Red Mill 1-1
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon pink salt
- Heat a medium saucepan on the stove top on low-medium.
- In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, milk, oil, and maple syrup. Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, ginger, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Spray your saucepan with cooking spray or use a nonstick pan. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop pancake mixture onto stove top and spread into a circle. When your pancakes begin to set on top (about 3 minutes) flip it and cook the bottom until it is golden brown (about 2 minutes). If the heat starts to get too hot turn it down to low.
- Remove from heat and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup and your favorite pancake toppings.
- Makes 8 pancakes using ¼ cup of batter for each. Nutrition is calculated per pancake.
- Store the pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator and consume within 5-7 days. To freeze gluten-free pumpkin pancakes, place in a freezer zip-tight bag and remove all the air before closing. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Substitutions: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, ginger can all be substituted with 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.