Crunchy sweet homemade granola recipe with rich chocolate and sweet cherry flavors. A breakfast food or snack to be served with creamy milk or as a parfait topped with fruit!
Lips are warm. Just awakening from evenings night. Beaming rays of a new day glow into the room. A room that is filled with new life and beginnings of each day. Everyday to be excited for life’s magic.
In the optimists view this is what every day is like. In everyone’s view, this is what every day should be like.
Some mornings the words “mama & dadda” come far too early before eyes are ready to pry themselves open. Or the alarm goes off before we are ready to face work’s challenges and the demands of others. But breakfast time can be so valuable even solo. Especially when this chocolate homemade granola recipe is involved.
Breakfast is important. The most important start of the day. It sets the pallet to enjoy sweets or salty. To enjoy a moment. A moment that is all yours before life’s demands take over.
When our morning starts I like to get up at least 30 minutes before my family. It sets the tone for the day, for myself. I get up, have coffee, read devotions and inspirations and eat breakfast. I eat in peace without any rushing to clean up messes or fighting. Without having to do a da** thing for others so I can in-turn do things for others. Just enjoying the moment and being present. Along with soaking in the rays of sunlight coming from the windows and reflecting on gratitude for each new day.
And being grateful for the chocolate I am usually eating for breakfast:-). Chocolate. Yep, I am grateful for this chocolate homemade granola recipe and so should you because chocolate is a very powerful thing. When it touches the lips there is a bliss of calmness that takes over! Chocolate is the delectable food of the gods. It stimulates the release of endorphin’s, natural hormones produced by the brain, that generates feelings of pleasure promoting a sense of well being. When it touches the lips of children they eat lots of chocolate. It is addictive, right? In fact, sometimes there is no self control to stop at times. That’s ok with this homemade granola recipe because it is filled with flax seeds, healthy nuts and organic sweet dried cherries!
Adding natural organic dried cherries is important to the immune system. Cherry’s are an antioxidant that helps to fight off colds and disease. And dried cherries area a great way to soothe a sweet tooth without unnatural sugars.
Homemade granola is so healthy. Because you can control the sugar and fat content. Oats are packed with cholesterol lowering powers since they are high in fiber. It is just important to consume lots of water each day to push the fiber and toxins from the body.
How To Make The Best Homemade Granola Recipe
Making granola from scratch takes a few simple healthy ingredients. Rolled oats, maple syrup or honey, nuts for protein and crunchy texture and sweetness such as dried fruit or chocolate morsels. Dried fruit adds a bit of chewy sweetness. Chocolate chips add a creamy subtle soft sweetness to the crunch of toasted oats and nuts. Salt, sugar and fat is what the body craves so adding a few tablespoons of healthy coconut oil gives the body a metabolism boosting fulfillment it needs to feel satisfied.
How cute is this granola stored in to-go cups with fun labels?! This is inspired by Yummy Mummy Kitchen’s healthy chocolate granola recipe. I add the labels on the cups and store in the fridge for my husband to grab in the morning. That way he knows what his “surprise” breakfast is for the day. Wouldn’t these make a great gift for friends or to a friend that had a baby for the morning after the dinner you just brought them? Funny about this photo… I messed up on the label and forgot to add mini chocolate chips. So the free printable link below has it re-created with that added:-) I was not about to redo the photos;-)
Serve your chocolate and cherries homemade granola recipe over yogurt with fresh fruit, soaked in fresh milk or flaked over ice cream for dessert.
Please download and share the below rich dark chocolate and cherry homemade granola recipe with others and turn them it into gifts!
Click Here For Free Printable Homemade Granola Recipe Labels
- 6 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups of rolled oats (not quick-cooking, gluten free preferably)
- ⅓ cup sliced raw almonds
- 1 cup of pecan halves
- ½ cup of cocoa powder or carob powder
- 3 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 cup of organic dried cherries
- 1 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, add the maple syrup, coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla and whisk well until combined.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, almonds, pecans, cocoa or carob powder, ground flaxseed, cinnamon and salt. Stir well. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir well to coat all the oats and nuts.
- Line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Spread the granola mixture across the pan in an even ½ inch layer.
- Bake 40-45 minutes using a spatula or wooden spoon to stir periodically so all the ingredients cook evenly and do not burn on the sides. Cook until the granola is golden brown and fragrant.
- Set the granola aside and cool for 20 minutes. The granola will get crispier as it cools.
- Add the dried cherries and chocolate chips to the cooled granola and toss to evenly distribute. Store the granola in an airtight container or zip-lock bag in the fridge for up to a month.