Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies that are flour-less and grain-free burst with fluffy “sink your teeth into” flavors and textures of pure satisfaction!
I can not believe that Christmas is less than two weeks away! Can you? I have not even begun any Christmas shopping yet. Thank goodness for Amazon two day shipping (can I get an Amen to that!). What is stranger in my mind is that Thanksgiving was just two weeks ago. I feel like Thanksgiving was just last weekend… where does the time go? After having children my husband and I both agree that life is just in full speed now constantly changing and moving along. And part of that is due to us both working on our passions, jobs and balancing family time ~ just more enjoyments added to the plate.
Some of my favorite things about Christmas time are getting the boys pictures with Santa, having our Elf on the Shelf visit us, and baking cookies!!! We have been knees deep in cookies lately. Mainly because making cookies just feels like the holiday season and is a must do and because I have been testing out a bunch of new recipes. Chase had a cookie walk fundraiser with his school where each parent makes about 60 cookies to add to a room full of tables filled with every kind of cookie one could imagine. On the fundraising day, event visitors get a cookie box and fill them up with all the variations (like a cookie exchange) to purchase. The cookies we made were a new chocolate butter cookie that got lots of recipe requests, so I will need to share that one on this blog in the near future.
During the two weeks of our December cookie baking madness I figured it was time to make a healthy Paleo cookie that my kids could eat as a healthy snack, breakfast or dessert (and for myself where there was no guilt!). And the secret ingredient is creamy cashew butter! Really, cashews are incredible to work with in the kitchen. They add a thick, moist, slightly sweet creaminess that can be turned into healthy dairy free cheeses, dressings, pie crusts and in place of flours for cookies. The end result: Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies (ok, or call them a “Cashew Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe”).
These cookies are so powerfully delicious there is no way you can eat just one! In fact, it took me three rounds of these to finally be able to capture a few pictures because we devoured a whole batch of these every time within a single day! I don’t think we can go back to the unhealthy version.
I just love that my little munchkin helps with photos. Here is our behind the scenes photo shoot, not even in my kitchen, but what it really looks like with little fingers grabbing at everything! Now do you see why it took 3 rounds to a few get pictures… because we keep eating them~
- ½ cup of Cashew Butter
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- salt, (pinch if cashew butter is no salt)
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips (dairy free optional)
- With an electric mixer, combine egg and brown sugar for about 1 minute. Add cashew butter, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda and optional salt if cashew butter is unsalted. Blend well. Using a spatula add chocolate chips and combine well. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with a silicon liner or parchment paper. Form dough into 1-inch round balls and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten with hands pressing down the tops.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove and let set about 1 minute then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container and consume within 3 days.