This past Monday called for a day of blueberry picking with friends at Santa Barbara Blueberries. We went last year later in the season and got the last pick of the crop – much smaller berries then when you go in June. The blueberries this time were so deliciously plump! Between my son and I, I think we ate over half a bucket while walking around the farm.
Round two turned out much better. I added oat flour (or can use gluten-free flour as I have made it both ways) to absorb moisture and I used less oil and eggs. The flavor turned out fabulous and they are low fat! The fat and moistness comes from natural ingredients of a little bit of coconut oil and the almonds in the flour.
The images in this recipe shows as mini muffins and have included both regular size and mini muffin instructions in the recipe. Enjoy these tasty almond flour blueberry muffins!
Santa Barbara Blueberry Picking + Low Fat Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Place all dry ingredients which include almond flour, baking powder, oat flour and coconut sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- In a small medium bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to wet egg and milk mixture and mix well. Should be thick and chunky.
- Once completely mixed fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Prepare a regular size muffin pan or mini muffin pan by lining it with liners and spraying it with cooking spray.
- Evenly scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes for regular muffins and 15 minutes for mini muffins.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
*recipe and post updated 6/3/2018