A healthy low calorie vegetarian recipe made of eggs, spinach, basil and goat cheese baked in a crispy phyllo dough pastry crust (or spelled fillo or filo dough). These Spinach and Egg Baked Phyllo Cups are baked to perfection, super healthy, high protein and should be added to your list of cheap healthy meals!
Some nights I have a fully amazing elaborate dinner planned out to make and when it comes to dinner time… well frankly there is no time. Chase is in his first year of soccer and so we have practices, play dates, errands and/or a crying baby on my hip at about 4:00 hungry for his momma to hold him. This is one of our favorite go-to simple meals to make together that I can make with Curren strapped to my back napping.
If I had my own chickens, I think that would make this recipe even more delicious, but I'll have to make do with what I have (still working on convincing my hubby… wishful thinking). But I really love how conveniently easy this is to make. It's a perfectly balanced healthy vegetarian meal that can be made for breakfast, brunch or dinner. The flavors of basil with goat cheese gives it a special touch and would also pair well with a side of sliced tomatoes into the mix. I sometimes make it during the day and just bake it when we get home at night, usually on soccer nights. But do not bake it ahead of time if you want your baked eggs runny. Any left overs are great for snacks or packed for school lunches the next day! Makes a great healthy lunchbox idea that even little Curren can eat with his little 8 teeth!
Step 1: Place each 5 layer squares of sliced Phyllo dough pastry crust into each muffin tin. Sprinkle spinach and basil mixture evenly on top of the pastry sheets. Add one egg to each. Sprinkle goat cheese on top of each egg. Combine salt and pepper and sprinkle over each egg.
Step 2: Bake for 10-15 minutes until the whites are firm but the yolks are still soft and runny. Remove from the oven and garnish with extra goat cheese diced olives and basil strips. Enjoy!
- 1 package of phyllo dough pastry crust
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup of fresh spinach chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3-4 Tablespoons diced olives optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- coconut oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare your muffin tin by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- Unfold the (entire box) pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Separate into 5 sheets of and spray each sheet with coconut oil (or any cooking spray) and layer one on top of the other. Cut into 12 squares.
- Place each 5 layer squares into each muffin tin. Combine spinach and basil. Sprinkle evenly onto the bottoms of each muffin tin on top of the pastry sheets. Add one egg to each. Sprinkle goat cheese evenly on top of each egg. Combine salt and pepper and sprinkle over each egg.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the whites are firm but the yolks are still soft and runny. Remove from the oven and garnish with extra goat cheese, diced olives and basil strips. Serve immediately.