Catch me if you can gingerbread cookie recipe! These gluten free and vegan gingerbread man cookies are made with warm aromas of coconut oil, molasses, ginger and cinnamon. No refrigeration time required and can be made soft or crispy.
*Recipe and photos updated 12/16
I don’t know about you but our family is a super big fan of gingerbread men cookies during the holiday season. We love to hide gingerbread men around the house and have Chase find him. What a fun game “Catch me if you can, I am the gingerbread man!” is to play!
Are you baking like crazy this time of year too? I just cant help myself but the holiday season just has me making cookies nonstop! Our gluten free vegan gingerbread men make the desert table look so luscious and tasty – especially paired with warm cozy egg nog or milk!
These vegan gingerbread men cookies are just as enjoyable a few days after they are baked but best right out of the oven. The boys and I made these to serve for dessert after our Christmas dinner. I made the first batch for Christmas and we ate them all so we needed to make another batch! Funny, this seems to happen every time we make cookies. That just means the luxury of eating the dough and decorating these cute little gingerbread men all over again!
Vegan gingerbread cookies are packed molasses which contains vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, iron and potassium.
Coconut oil (healthy fats) instead of butter and consist of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Mix instead of white flour. So I really don’t regret that we have been eating these for breakfast. I know, I know, too much sugar is not good so if this is our breakfast and snack we kick our sugar intake in the butt that day (meaning no fruit juices or other treats).
These vegan gingerbread cookies are so fabulously chewy! For a chewy cookie, bake them for only 10-12 minutes. If your style is a crunchy cookie, bake them for 15 minutes. I am not 100% vegan but love cooking and baking without eggs. The least amount of ingredients used the easier, right?!
Cookies made with coconut oil contains healthy saturated fats and is better for the body than butter and dairy. Saturated fats that are excellent for brain development in children! So my little men can eat up these delicious little men because they are healthy!
After every meal Chase continues to ask for these tasteful gingerbread men cookies for dessert. I always wish the aromas of what these recipes smell like could pop out through the computer screen. Hopefully the pictures do justice. But when you smell the warm coconut oil with cinnamon and ginger spices melting in the oven you’ll want to immediately make these!
Vegan cookies are so easy to make. Especially these because they do not require any refrigeration time and you can nibble on the dough as you go! These vegan gingerbread cookies take about 5 minutes to mix!
Add the wet ingredients first to a large bowl but leave out the melted coconut oil. Then add baking powder and whisk quickly together. Then add the dry ingredients, mix and finally the coconut oil last. This way it does not clump from any cold ingredients.
Now comes the nitty-gritty party! Get your hands in that dough and knead it until all the white flour is absorbed and what is left is a gorgeous brown ball of dough.
Place the dough in between two large pieces of wax paper and roll the dough out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Using gingerbread man cookie cutter (or any favortite cookie cutter), cut out the cookies! Bake and let them cool completely before decorating.
How adorable are these?
Enjoy these gluten free vegan gingerbread cookies, stay healthy this holiday season and Happy Holidays! xoxo!
*Recipe and photos updated 12/16
Vegan Gingerbread Man Cookies (Gluten Free)
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of organic powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut milk
- sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, molasses and maple syrup. Add the baking powder and whisk well so there are no clumps. Add the Himalayan salt and gluten free flour. Mix with a spatula slightly then add the coconut oil and continue to mix to form a ball. The dough will be tough. Using your hands knead the dough until all the flour and white is absorbed. May need to chill the dough slightly before rolling it out.
- On a counter spread out a large sheet of wax paper. Add the dough and cover with a second piece of wax paper. Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin in-between the two sheets of wax paper until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick. Using a gingerbread man cookie cutter (or cookie cutter of choice) cut the dough into shapes. Will make about 15 gingerbread men. Carefully place cookies into prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 10-12 minutes for softer cookies or 15 minutes for crunchier cookies. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
- As cookies cool, make the icing. Mix 2 cups of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons coconut milk, stir until smooth. Add more coconut milk if needed.
- Place icing into a plastic icing bag, cutting the tip slightly. Pipe icing onto cooled cookies as desired to create characters and decorate with sprinkles. Allow icing to sit for about an hour without touching to harden. Store in a sealed container.
More Vegan Cookie Recipes