Drinking this concentrated fresh + cleansing wellness shot made of metabolism boosting cayenne pepper, lemon, ginger and apple improves digestion, skin, fights colds and flu and aids to reduce inflammation! It is a quick and easy immunity blast to jumpstart the body for optimal health!
This wellness shot is one for the books! Not only is it healing, it cleanses the body from the inside out with loads of vitamin C to ignite the immune system FAST! Plus you will get an instant enhancement of natural energy!
It is especially important to consume this little shot of citrus sunshine during cold and flu season along with my homemade elderberry syrup, grandma’s cold and flu tea + remedies, apple cider vinegar drink, and lemon cucumber mint detox water, to help keep the body healthy and vibrant.
Why we should be Drinking Wellness Shots
This wellness shot aids in improving the body’s defense system with large doses of vitamin C from lemon and apple. Here is why you may want to add this lemon ginger shot to your every diet!
- A fast and effective way to get vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in a jiffy!
- Wellness shots contain essential minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants all which improve health and eliminate free radicals.
- Activates digestion and eases indigestion. – apples help to alleviate indigestion. Lemons help to active the production of bile in the liver, especially when drinking warm lemon water in the morning. All of this benefits the body’s ability to metabolize breaking down food and assist to decrease belly fat.
- Helps detox the body – when drinking wellness shots you are enhancing the body with large doses of vitamin C quickly to help flush out toxins that store in the liver.
- Speeds up the metabolism for weight loss thanks to cayenne pepper!
- Promotes glowing skin from antioxidants in lemons and citric acid.
- Ginger is an excellent ingredient to decrease inflammation. It is THE super food of medical benefits, including healing colds, flu's, and an upset stomach.
What is in a Wellness Shot?
A wellness shot is a giant dose of vitamin C and antioxidants in a quick and efficient drink! It completely boosts the immune system and digestive track.
Whenever I go to our local juicer, I get a delicious detox wellness shot that increases my energy and makes me feel amazing! I started making them at home in our blender because they are simple, rejuvenating and less expensive to make when homemade!
Growing up my grandmother would always slice an apple and eat it right before going to bed. She had trouble with digestion and the alkaline effects of eating a apples helped ease her indigestion especially after acidic Italian pasta dinner (because we are Italian and this a main dish:-).). This is a natural remedy she did for years, and now I understand why.
Apples and Digestion
Apples are full of soluble fiber so they do not absorb liquid. This is good because the fiber they have helps to push toxins and food quickly through the digestive track. Nana knew best!
Lemon, Ginger, and Apple Wellness Shot Ingredients and Benefits
- Lemon – The powerful citrus fruit is used whole when juiced. When in a blender, I suggest removing the skin. Lemons help flush toxins by jump-starting the digestive system when served in warm lemon water. It contains vitamin C, which is an antioxidant to help boost the immune system and remove free radicals from the body.
- Fresh Ginger – is an anti-inflammatory food is widely known for helping settle an upset stomach. It contains gingerol, a powerful substance that contributes to healing and acts as natural medicine. It reduces soreness, reduces inflammation and helps fight colds and the flu.
- Apple– Assists in digestion thanks to soluble fiber that does not absorb water keeping you hydrated! Apples are also loaded with antioxidants to help prevent free radicals from existing in the body.
- Water- helps to mix the ingredients together and hydrate.
How to make an Immunity Shot
In a blender
Add all the ingredients into a blender such as a Vitamix. Using a mesh bag or nut bag like this one (which I love and use religiously!), place the bag over a large bowl. Pour the juice into the bag. Squeeze the bag tightly numerous times until all of the juice is drained into the bowl. Save the fiber pieces remaining in the nut bag and add them to smoothies or baked goods.
Pour the juice into a glass to serve. Best served chilled.
In a juicer
Add all the ingredients to a juicer and enjoy! Best served chilled.
- 1 lemon skin and rind sliced off
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled
- 1/2 apple such as gala
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1/2 tablespoon vitamin C powder Such as Emergen-C
- Add all the ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth on high.
- Using a large bowl, place a mesh bag or nut bag over top. Pour in the green detox juice. Using your hands, squeeze the juice out making sure to remove all of the liquid. (save and reserve the scraps in the bag to add to baked goods or smoothies.)
- Transfer the juice to a glass and serve over ice or chilled.
- Add all the ingredients to a juicer. Enjoy over ice or chilled.