Stuffed Squash With Quinoa, Cranberries and Goat Cheese
A stuffed squash recipe that makes playing with food fun! Roasted squash and gourds (Cucurbita) are so much fun baked in the oven and stuffed with nutrient packed quinoa, sage, cranberries and a bit of tangy goat cheese!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 Carnival Squash Acorn Squash, or an edible gourd
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup white onion diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 sage leaves chopped (plus more for pretty garnish)
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and wrap the squash in aluminum foil for roasting. When the oven is ready add the squash and roast for about 40 minutes or until a knife is inserted and it is soft inside.
Meanwhile prepare the quinoa according to package directions.
In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat add the olive oil or avocado oil. Sautee the garlic and onion for about 2 minutes. Turn down to low and add the prepared quinoa, dried cranberries, chopped sage and scallions. Blend well. Set aside.
When the squash is finished roasting remove from oven and let set to cool slightly. Cut off the top and remove the seeds inside with a spoon. Add the quinoa mixture and top with goat cheese and a splash of lemon juice.