Butternut squash flax bread is so warm, moist and delicious without any dairy or added oils! A new healthy holiday favorite bread loaf to bring to the table!
Holiday bread loafs and breads that have squash in them are my favorite! They taste like secret healthy cake that it is acceptable eat for breakfast. And to top this recipe off it comes with a sweet whipped cinnamon spice butter that compliments the moist bread.
I made this recipe for my Mom’s & Mentors brunch gathering last week and it got rave reviews by friends and my family! So when my friends Dalina and Jill (hi friends!) requested the recipe be sent right away – I knew you all will love making this special holiday recipe at home too:-)
After our gathering, I ran right home and made another batch of quick bread with the extra can of butternut squash I had sitting in the pantry. Luckily I did not eat the whole loaf of bread during the photo shoot! This gluten free butternut squash flax bread is sitting in my freezer now for Thanksgiving (if it lasts another couple of days)!
The recipe is a knock-off from my gluten-free pumpkin bread recipe only I use less sugar and added flax meal to the mixture. The butternut squash adds extra fiber along with flax meal. Flax meal also contains omega-3s and Lignans – which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities.
A few other favorite Thanksgiving and Christmas gluten-free breads I love to make are:
- Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- Healthy Sweet Bread Recipe (made with Spelt flour so its not wheat free)
- Cranberry Nut Bread
- Spelt Flour Irish Soda Bread
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread
Now that we have our breads in order for the holidays lets chat about the ingredients. I like to use canned butternut squash, the same way you would use canned pumpkin. It is already cooked and mashed and ready-to-go!
Next mix all the wet ingredients together in a small bowl and all the dry ingredients in a larger bowl. Pour the wet ingredients of the butternut squash flax bread into the dry ingredients and whisk together well to combine (making sure there are no lumps).
Bake in two 8.5 bread loaf pans and you will have two beautiful light loaves that serve about 12 each.
Here comes the fun part… the sweet whipped cinnamon spice butter! Simply whisk or mix together room temperature vegan butter regular butter (if not concerned about dairy), cinnamon, ground cloves and maple syrup! It really compliments this butternut squash bread!
PIN Gluten Free Butternut Squash Flax Bread Recipe
Butternut Squash Flax Bread (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour
- ½ cup ground flax meal
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 15 ounce can butternut squash puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- Whipped Sweet Butter:
- ½ cup vegan butter or regular or ghee can be used if dairy is not a concern
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom of two 8.5 inch bread loaf pans with cooking spray or (vegan) butter; set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the butternut squash puree, eggs, maple syrup and apple sauce. Set aside in a large bowl add the gluten-free flour, flax meal, baking soda, coconut sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until any chunks are dissolved.
- Bake each loaf for 55 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.