Homestyle gluten-free chicken pot pie made with a flaky buttery crust that melts with every bite into a (healthier) creamy filling loaded with vegetables and chunks of chicken (or turkey) breast!
My favorite comfort foods are one-dish meals, like this perennial much-loved gluten-free chicken pot pie. It is a quick family meal and a great way to turn leftover turkey meat or chicken meat into a nonboring new meal! To save time, always have on-hand and use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and make the gluten-free pie crust the day before. That way when you are ready to make this gluten-free chicken pot pie recipe, it can be ready at moments notice.
Why this chicken pot pie recipe works
- Gluten-free with a dairy-free option – this gluten-free chicken pot pie recipe encompasses a flakey soft gluten-free pie crust
- No canned cream of mushroom or preservatives – Growing up in the 80's most of our dinners revolved around canned cream of “anything”. Canned cream of mushroom soup, canned cream of celery soup, and/or canned cream of chicken seemed to be the main ingredient into most of my favorite meals including chicken pot pie. Making the creamy filling at home is simple and healthier and contains no preservatives and GMO's.
- Packed with wholesome vegetables and protein – this savory meat pie is loaded with tons of vegetables and lean chicken breast. Sometimes I leave out the crust off my plate and eat a few servings of just the filling (it is soooo good and nourishing!).
What goes into this recipe: ingredients
- Gluten-free pot pie crust – This one is so buttery, flaky and moist, unlike some gluten-free pie crust that turn out hard and rubbery or dry. Make a few of them for all your pie needs!
- Oil for sautéing the vegetables such as olive oil or avocado oil
- Gluten-free chicken pot pie filling – cooked chicken breast (or turkey meat), white onion, carrots, green beans, peas, corn, (bag of frozen mixed vegetables) milk, chicken broth, gluten-free flour, salt, pepper, chicken bouillon.
How to make this pot pie recipe
STEP 1: Make and prepare the gluten-free pie crust. Form it into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and store the pastry dough in the refrigerator until ready to use.
STEP 2: In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat and cook the onion until tender with salt and pepper, about 2 minutes. Mix in the gluten-free flour to form a roux and thicken for about 1 minute. Add the milk, broth, and chicken bullion.
Whisk together to thicken. The longer the thicker, about 2-3 minutes.
STEP 3: Add the chicken and thawed vegetables and mix together.
STEP 4: Pour the filling into a 9-inch pie dish.
STEP 5: On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry dough to form a 10 inch circle. Place over the chicken mixture and crimp the edges. Cut a few slashes in the crust to allow for steam to escape.
STEP 6: Bake until the pie crust is golden brown, and let the gluten-free chicken pot pie cool about 20 minutes before serving. This helps settle everything and thicken the sauce.
FAQ's and Expert Tips
Yes, Trader Joe's and most grocery stores now carry gluten-free pie crust in the frozen section. Let the crust thaw on the counter until manageable and peel it off the aluminum pie dish. Then roll it into a disk and wrap it in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator to harden and until ready to use.
Use vegan or plant based butter and substitute the milk for unsweetened cashew milk.
You can also use cornstarch, cassava flour, or rice flour to thicken the sauce.
Yes, you can substitute the chicken and make this is a gluten-free turkey pot pie or use salmon for a seafood pot pie.
If you make this gluten-free chicken pot pie recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 gluten-free pie crust
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup onion chopped
- ⅓ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken bullion powder
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup milk (I used skim milk)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 2 ½ cups chicken breast or turkey breast cooked and diced or shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan add the oil, onion, salt, and pepper, and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes until vegetables are softened. Add the flour and mix to make the roux, about 1 minute, then add in the broth, milk and chicken bullion. Whisk together until it thickens then add the chicken and thawed vegetables and mix together. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish.
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough out to a 10-inch circle. Work quickly so the ingredients stay chilled. Place pastry top over chicken mixture in dish. Turn edges of pastry over and crimp the edges, then cut a few slashes on the top to allow for steam to escape.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Tent the crust with foil after 15 minutes of cooking to prevent the edges from burning. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
This recipe was previous posted as a gluten-free chicken pot pie with an olive oil crust and has been updated.