Nutrient packed homemade bone broth (chicken stock) that is pretty much effortless! No need to buy store bought brands, unless for convenience. You will save money and can use all the parts of the ingredients from this recipe!
It is true to this day that bone broth is incredibly healing and one of the best sources of medicine. Growing up anytime we were sick my mom would immediately make homemade chicken noodle soup served with tea, lemon and honey. All of which is super alkaline for the body. When the body is alkaline foreign colds and sickness and cannot thrive. Today when my boys or I are sick I right away make up some soup like my colorful rainbow chicken noodle soup. I keep this homemade bone broth recipe in little individual baggies stored in the freezer for convenience when these “inconvenient” times arise.
With lots of winter colds running around and flu season in full bloom – we caught the bugs. My hubby caught the horrible flu and my boys luckily just a nasty cold. Chatting with my mom on the phone the first thing was “Ok, give them chicken broth, make some soup.” I never understood the healing power of chicken broth until I really researched it. So here’s the breakdown:
10 Health Benefits of Bone Broth
- Chicken contains natural amino acids. The amino acid called cysteine can help thin the mucus in your lungs.
- Broth contains minerals the body can easily absorb. It contains broken down minerals from cartilage such as calcium, magnesium, silicon, phosphorus, and trace minerals.
- Smooths skin and prevents wrinkles. Chicken broth contains healthy fats, nutrients and building blogs of collagen.
- Reduces inflammation. Bone broth has chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine.
- Bone Broth is healthy for your gut! Diets too high in sugars and too low in healthy fats and beneficial bacteria can make the gut swell and the intestinal track irritated. Bone broth is excellent for healing the gut. Long term abnormalities in the gut can allow for the growth of degenerative diseases.
- Helps fight infections. Eating chicken soup during sickness helps to lower the amount of white blood cells in the body.
- It contains gelatin. Gelatin is a key ingredient for beautiful hair and nail growth. So drink up!
- Aids in better sleep patterns. The amino acid glycine helps calm the mind and body.
- Save money by making it at home. When we save money we feel in control, therefore easing stress.
- Easy to make. Put ingredients in the slow cooker and have it ready in the evening and for the rest of the week.
I recently just finished listening to the audio book Dr. Kellyann’s Bone Broth Diet book. This book is life changing!
This book will change the way you think about food and discipline. It will grow your knowledge on how truly amazing bone broth is for the body. Life changing amazing! It’s 10 health benefits are totally convincing right? Well her book goes into more depth and incorporates ways to add broth into your daily diet. For example, having it a few times a day instead of coffee or tea. Easy enough, right? This past couple of weeks I have been doing just that. I do feel more energized. The other day one of my friends complimented how shiny and long my hair is getting. I have to say the only thing I changed in my diet was incorporating chicken broth more frequently. Serve it up in soup, by itself in a bowl or sip up through a straw!
This is a simple slow cooker bone broth recipe that provides more nutrients and minerals found from the bones and tendons of chickens than you can most likely get from a pill.
Homemade bone broth is just that awesome! Place an organic whole chicken, one onion, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and a dash of turmeric in the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 8-10 hours. When it is done eat up all those yummy vegetables and strain the broth to save for another time. Easy-peasy at the end of the day you have created a delicious bone broth recipe.
To store the bone broth, let it cool completely and then put in small quart size Zip-lock bags and place in the freezer. Use the reserves anytime you feel an immunity boost is needed or it’s time to make homemade soup!
Homemade Bone Broth Recipe
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 8 cups of filtered water
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 stalks of celery including the leaves finely chopped
- 4 large carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh watercress
- 2 garlic cloves whole
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- few twists of fresh pepper
- 1 bunch of parsley
- dash of turmeric
- Put all the ingredients except the parsley in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Cook until the meat is falling off the bones.
- Add parsley the last 10 minutes to absorb their nutrients. Strain the chunks out with a strainer. Eat the hearty meat with a bit of broth and save the remaining broth. Store in freezer bags to thaw when ready to use.
Other recipes to enjoy using chicken stock or bone broth: