Hearty cabbage soup diet recipe slowly cooked in the slow cooker. This comforting soup is also known as the popular Dolly Parton Diet or TWA Stewardess Diet. Whatever you want to call it, it is light, detoxing and packed with nourishing vegetables and spicy miso flavoring!
Cabbage is actually one of healthiest foods to eat (organic)! I try to sneak the vegetable into the kids by adding it in their bean and cheese burritos. We also love it in crunchy taco salads in place of shredded lettuce. Our ultimate favorite way to eat cabbage is in this savory cabbage soup diet recipe!
Check out the Video Tutorial
Over the summer my hubby and I were slightly obsessed with making caramelized onion and cabbage cheesy burritos. Cabbage, like celery, speeds up the metabolism. It takes more calories to digest it than the plant actually has in it. I think we were all craving it for some reason.
I would have made sauerkraut with our cabbage cravings, but my husband gags at the slightest smell of vinegar. Ya know, that sharp tart smell that hits ya right in the far upper nostril? When I clean with vinegar I have to do it early in the morning when he leaves for work so the scent clears from the air by the time he gets home.
Growing up my mom was always a fan of sauerkraut. But I remember hating the smell and it was not until I was older that I began to favor vinegary cabbage. She would always try to make us eat it. I remember coming home and the house was overpowered by the pungent odor and we would walk right back out that door!
When you have kids it is like Karma hits you then. My kids do the same things to me that I did to my mom… boy is payback a funny thing because now as an adult I cant get enough sauerkraut and cabbage. My kids don't like sauerkraut but they sure do gobble up a whole bowl of this cabbage soup!
There is a slow cooker cray-cray going on in our house. It is crockpot recipes non-stop because I am too lazy to stand over the stove mixing. Mainly because we have been battling colds and the stomach flu for weeks now.
Slow cooker soup is so easy. Literally all you have to do is chop and toss all those fresh veggies in the bowl! Big bonus is there are hardly any dishes to scrub after this meal! TOTAL Win, Win!
This week our slow cooker married a few handfuls of vegetables. The result is this gorgeous cabbage soup diet recipe that was we ate all weekend long. It is made of 99% vegetables marinated in a miso soup broth (using Vegan and Gluten-Free Miso Paste). Cabbage soup is part of a detox diet plan because it keeps the stomach full for hours thanks to all that fiber!
Cabbage is one of those foods that can be sneaked into meals too. Like I mentioned, it can be chopped into burritos, taco salads, over nachos and even into smoothies. One can get away with (almost) anything in smoothies! Raw cabbage has no distinct flavor and provides lots of nutrition in smoothies. It is a great source of vitamin K, vitamin C and dietary fiber.
The ingredients in a Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe are all natural, healing, filling, and detoxing!
When the body is detoxed from free radicals and unwanted toxins it is able to loose weight, have more energy, feel lighter, happier and experience more of life! I only say this from experience with the foods we eat:-)
If you want to keep this soup really clean, leave out the miso and double the amount of herbs and salt. But honestly, the spicy miso broth is what gives this soup its abundance of flavor!
For vegan diets you can find vegan miso to use as an alternative. For gluten-free and Celiac, miso usually contains gluten so make sure the paste is also gluten-free. (side note, this post has been updated to accommodate).
Lets talk about the ingredients in this cabbage soup. It is super simple and incredibly nourishing!
- Green Cabbage – packed with fiber and is a great source of choline, phosphorus, vitamin B2, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, pantothenic acid, protein and niacin.
- Celery – Burns more calories than it takes to eat. Packed with fiber!
- Onion – Packed with vitamin C to help improve immunity.
- Carrots – Packed with vitamin A it is great for eyesight.
- Seasoning – Herbs are essential and packed with vitamins and minerals such as iron.
- Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth– Carries electrolytes and sodium to hydrate the body when dehydrated or sick. Plus fills you up.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Helps reduce heartburn, acid reflux, can aid in weight loss, assists in healthy blood sugar and carries antioxidant properties.
- Lemon – Balances PH levels in the body. Aids in hydration.
- Miso Paste Use 1-3 Tablespoons of white miso paste (fermented soy bean paste) as it is made without the fish flavor or gluten.
- Tomatoes – High in vitamin C and when cooked contain higher levels of cancer preventing antioxidants.
This soup consists of 10 wildly healthy plant based vegetables and herbs! This cabbage soup recipe can be added to your “Cabbage Soup Diet Plan”. But really it is the wholefoods what we should always be eating on a daily basis.
Diets are fads. Eating foods like this soup are a way of life. Just think of the cabbage soup diet as a way of life for more energy and weight loss. The weight loss comes from eating fiber packed fruits and vegetables that fill you up longer. Fruits and vegetables that provide sustainable energy that allow you to do the passions and things you love in life! That is a big win right there!
Pin This Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe!
Cabbage soup diet recipes are very appealing to anyone trying to detox and lose weight. And now that the holidays are here it is great soup to end the year with and start the new year!
More favorite Cabbage Recipes to enjoy:
- Savory Cabbage Salad With Apple Cider Tahini Dressing
- Purple Cabbage Soup
- Quick Cabbage Slaw by Skinnytaste
- Broccoli Slaw by Taste of Home
- Sauerkraut Recipe by Simple Vegan Blog
+Please note this recipe has been updated to accommodate gluten-free and vegan lifestyle. The video uses a packet of dry miso, so you can also use that in place of the paste for non Celiac and if you do not have a gluten sensitivity.
Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe
- 1/2 green cabbage chopped
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 cups tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano dry
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf dry
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free and vegan miso paste (or start with 1 tablespoon and add up to 3 tablespoons or to taste).
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, optional for garnish
- In a slow cooker add all the ingredients. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. Serve with bread or crackers (gluten-free) and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Add all the ingredients in a large pot and turn the heat to high. When it starts to bubble on the sides, cover and turn the heat down to medium heat. Cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the carrots are soft.