Is Butcher Box organic meat delivery service worth it? In this Butcher Box review learn what it is, why it is rated one of the top meat subscriptions, pros, cons, and prices to help you discover if it’s right for you!
Butcher Box Review
I have been using Buterbox for years and have been more than pleased over and over again with the quality of their meat and seafood. So much that it’s the only source of meat I use on a regular basis and I give it a Five Star Rating.
The meats are high-quality, humanely raised, and have incredible taste. And they deliver to your door while you remain in the comfort of your home.
What is ButcherBox
ButcherBox is a meat delivery service that delivers the best 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, free range organic chicken, heritage breed pork, and wild-caught seafood that comes directly to your doorstep on your schedule. Shipping is free and they even send you notification to your email as soon as the meat is delivered.
That is less than $6.00 per meal you can eat organic grass-fed and finished meat! Totally affordable, right? It is like getting fresh meat right off a local farm or from your neighborhood butcher where they come to you!
Subscription Boxes and Pricing
There are two types of boxes to choose from in a ButcherBox subscription.
- Curated Box – starting at $137
- Custom Box – starting at $159
It is “starting at” because you can always add in any extra add-ons to each box. The Curated Boxes come with high quality meats that are already chosen for you. The Custom Boxes allows you to choose and pick out your favorite meats that fit your lifestyle. Each box comes with two options of a Classic Box or Big Box.
There are 5 types of Curated Boxes to choose from such as a Mixed Box (beef, pork, chicken), Beef and Chicken, Beef and Pork, All Beef Box.
- Curated Classic Box – $137 per box, 8-11 lbs of meat, 24 meals
- Curated Big Box – $253 per box, 16-22 lbs of meat, 48 meals
- Custom Classic Box – $159 per box, 9-14 lbs of meat, 30 meals
- Custom Big Box – $288 per box, 18-26 lbs of meat, 60 meals
Custom boxes are where you can add wild-caught seafood to the menu. And when setting up an order you can also set up shipments to go out every 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, or 8 weeks.
Meat and Seafood Options
ButcherBox has an extensive variety of organic meats and wild-caught seafood to choose from. Throughout the years, these selections have changed or more come in seasonally.
100% Grass-Fed & Grass-Finished Beef: ground beef, burgers, chuck roast, beef brisket, NY strip steaks, sirloin cap, premium steak tips
Organic Free-Range Chicken: whole chicken, boneless skinless breasts, boneless skinless thighs, chicken drumsticks, bone-in chicken thighs
Humanely Raised Pork: breakfast sausage, center-cut pork loin roast, boneless pork chops, pork tenderloin, bone-in pork butt, Butcherbox bacon
Wild-Caught Seafood: wild alaskan sockeye salmon, salmon burgers, cod
Extras: ground turkey, ground bison, uncured hot dogs
The cuts of the meat taste amazing and are top of line high-quality and perfect for a gourmet home-cooked meal! Each meat is frozen for freshness. It is shipped in an eco-friendly isolated box using dry ice to ensure your meat is stays frozen during delivery.
In addition to the quality of the meat, the ethics of the company is also top quality. They care about the animals and work together with people who care about the ecosystem, safety, sustainability, natural tendencies, and together strive to minimize our carbon footprint.
Pros and Cons
Butcher Box Pros
- Meat is organic and sustainable raised.
- Meat is grass-fed and most importantly grass-finished.
- Grass-finished meat contains more nutritional value and is much healthier than your standard store bought meats.
- Order from the comfort of your home with Free Shipping.
- Conveniently notified by email the moment it arrives at your door.
- Extremely high quality cuts of meat that are extremely flavorful and delicious.
- The Value; you really can’t get better for meat for the price.
Butcher Box Cons
- When ordering anything like this you need to plan ahead to maximize the value and convenience.
- Although it comes relatively quickly – about 3 business days depending on where you live, you still do have to wait rather than just running to the store.
- It comes frozen so there is a day to let the food thaw.
My Personal Butcher Box Review
Ordering from Butcher Box makes eating healthy affordable, life run smoother, meal planning much easier, and staying a practical budget easier. My experience with ButcherBox so far has been totally awesome. I have tried almost all the meat and seafood and they are my #1 recommended source for organic meat delivery.
- Convenient – order in the comfort of your home.
- Wide Variety of wild seafood and organic meat – Butcher Box is constantly growing their products, and they carry everything from sirloin steak to Italian breakfast sausage, and wild cod fish and salmon.
- Affordable – prices are comparative to other leading brands. Butcher Box is about $6 per meal for organic meat. I have found organic grass-fed meat at Trader Joe’s for $5.99 (they only carry grass-fed ground beef, and Costco for about $24 for a 4 pack (which is reasonable but it is not grass-finished), Whole Foods ranging form $5.99-$19.99. Trader Joe’s and Costco are best for ground beef in price, but considering the ease and the quality of meat, Butcher Box takes the cake in value.
- Healthier – Organic, sustainable, grass-fed and grass-finished products
- Flavorful – Take my word for it, the meat is top-notch and everything I’ve made is absolutely mouthwatering delicious! I have not come across fatty pieces of meat.
Our family favorite meats to get are Scallops, Wild Sockeye Salmon, Ground Beef, Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Chicken Tenders, Ground Turkey Meat, Pork Tenderloin, and NY Strips. Although there is much more to choose from. The company also offers the option to schedule it for every 4, 6, or 8 week shipments and can be canceled at anytime.
Butcher Box is an incredible way to save money and your health!
Frequently Asked Questions
Grass-fed meat means the animal has been raised by eating grass (as opposed to grains and corn as you see in feedlots). But this is fairly typical for an animal to start in pasture eating grass. However what happens the majority of times is the animal is put on a grain and corn diet to fatten them up at the end of their lives. This is not a natural diet for the animals and often times leads to very sick animals. Morally it’s horrible, but also what kind of meat do you think that produces? What you need to know is that meat can still receive the ‘grass-fed label’ even if they finish them with the grains and corn diet.
Grass-finished means the animal has had a natural grass diet from the start to the end of its life, and never given the fattening grains or corn in the end. This is what you want to look for when purchasing the best quality and naturally good for you meats.
What you want it is ‘Grass-Finished’ meat. For the highest quality meat, you will want to make sure meat is labeled grass-finished. That means no grains in their diet ever and therefore no grains in yours (important if you are leading a grain-free lifestyle)! The result is a healthier more nutritional meat, which is good for you and the animals!
Yes! Ordering online delivery service is a wonderful way to stay home, save time, and money not buying extras when entering the grocery stores!
Meat and poultry are excellent sources of protein, iron, B-vitamins, and amino acids which are what help rebuild cells. Meat promotes muscle growth, boosts the immunity, and the omega-3 found in seafood helps promote heart health and glowing skin. When meat is prepared from a sustainable source, such as organic and grass-fed (and more importantly grass finished) without added antibiotics or hormones, that is best for the body because after-all, we are made up of what we eat!
Organic meat means the meat has been fed an organically grown diet and the animals diet should never have any added antibiotics or growth hormones.
Is Butcher Box Worth It?
Yes, ButcherBox is a reliable source that delivers quality meats online quickly. The meats are raised humanely and without added hormones or antibiotics. The pricing is very comparable to non organic meat, and it is a much healthier choice in the long-run.
When we do not consume the added hormones in food, the body is able to find balance as your own hormones are not compromised by added ones. Out of balance hormones can lead to weight issues, mood disorders, acne, and depression, so it is best to steer clear of it in foods.
Butcher Box is also more nutritious (if you look at the nutrition labels on ButcherBox beef, it has more iron and nutrients than other brands), tastes better and is extremely convenient. From my standpoint and for my family, Yes! no questions about it that it is worth it! The price is comparatively the same as local grocery stores plus you can shop from home.
Food is costly, especially with growing kids that never stop eating! Personally, I would rather see the doctor less by eating the foods that heal and support a thriving body. Over the years I slowly found decent organic meat sources at local Trader Joe’s, Costco, Sprouts, etc. And for reasonable prices but since using Butcher Box it has been a God-sent for us. I can order in bulk and pay less, then plan out our meals for the month based on what is in the box. I then deduct what I spent on the meat for that month and know what I have left in our food budget. If I need, I can stretch some of the meat into the next month. It assures that we are always eating healthy and ButcherBox meal delivery service helps our family stay on a meal plan and food budget.
You are here because there is a curiosity about buying organic meat and if it is worth it. I strongly suggest if you are wavering to give ButcherBox try and test it out by clicking here. You can cancel at anytime if you are not 100% satisfied.
Related articles and recipes to enjoy
I hope you find my Butcher Box Review article helpful! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to leave a comment below with any thoughts or questions!