Green arugula salad with roasted vegetables deliciously drizzled in flavorful champagne vinaigrette dressing- who can resist? Add this dressing as a sauce to pasta, salad or a marinade for roasted vegetables!
Not too long ago I was on an exploration around Pinterest for a gorgeous new salad dressing recipe. One that would serve well over pears and Gorgonzola cheese. One that is versatile enough to encompass rich flavors of a bitter lettuce with sweet and satisfying crunch of… anything. One that would compliment the phytonutrients of a vegan salad.
It is so important to eat a plant based diet. Plant based diets are full of phytonutrients (also referred to as phytochemicals) which are compounds found in plants. They serve to protect the plant’s vitality from disease and from UV radiation. Other compounds serve to protect it from insect attack. In a similar manner how it protects a plant, phytonutrients protect human bodies against disease and free radicals. Fueling up on more color and variety of plants is an awesome way to keep your immunity up. Phytonutrients keep you healthy, looking younger, and boost the body’s natural detoxifying abilities! Another reason to eat a plant based diet! And what better way to compliment a plant based diet than with a fabulous dressing!
Food for thought: if plants already have a natural protection against insect attack, why do we really need so many pesticides?
Bonus is the kids LOVE this healthy Champagne Vinaigrette Dressing on all types of vegetables. It is a family favorite go-to recipe, and adds maximum flavor to common “bland” foods. Simply toss and coat generously with a salad or roasted vegetables! Store the dressing in the fridge then serve at room temperature. Homemade dressings will keep for up to a week… if it lasts that long!
Isn’t this a gorgeous salad? We have been incorporated more vegetables (and no meat) into each meal and adding rice and quinoa make this such a hearty dish! It is so filling, flavorful and makes a fabulous dairy-free salad, vegetarian salad and vegan salad ~ catering to any diet! The sweetness in this vinaigrette is the perfect compliment to any salad.
Keep healthy friends! xo
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups of baby arugula leaves
- ½ cup quinoa, dry
- ½ cup wild rice, dry
- 1 ¾ cups filtered water
- 1 cup butternut squash chunks
- 1 red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ onion
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup green onion, diced
- DRESSING: Combine all DRESSING ingredients and mix well with a fork or whisk.
- SALAD: Add ½ cup quinoa and ½ wild rice in 1¾ cups of boiling water. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce to a simmer and cover for about 20-25 minutes until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. While the quinoa and rice are cooking roast the vegetables. Prep a roasting pan with parchment paper and add vegetables: butternut squash chunks, pepper, garlic, onion, cherry tomatoes, carrots. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil plus salt and pepper to taste and cover lightly with aluminum foil. Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Let cool then chop the vegetables into 1-inch chunks and mince the garlic. In a large bowl add 2 cups rice and quinoa, roasted vegetables, arugula and salad dressing. Garnish with green onion slices. Optional to sprinkle ¼ cup of goat cheese - and enjoy!