This healthy chicken tortilla soup comes together well with delicious hearty ingredients. The secrets to this soup are the green chiles, chili powder, and fire roasted tomatoes which adds loads of flavor!
Nothing beats a chilly day than a warm bowl of flavorsome soup. We are over the moon obsessed with this super easy chicken tortilla soup recipe! It is an ambrosial authentic Mexican dish that has us over-the-moon making it on repeat! Plus it comes from my cookbook Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cookbook, 100 satisfying, Family-Friendly Recipes.
Why this tortilla soup recipe works
Homemade tortilla soup is a healthy dinner that can be ready in about 30 minutes! To cut time, use pre-cooked chicken. I like to use roasted or rotisserie chicken that is already cooked and shredded. Purchase shredded cooked chicken at the store or make it homemade which you can learn how to cook a rotisserie here. Chicken tortilla soup is also really simple to prepare using staple freezer and canned goods and a few seasonings you probably already have on hand. Plus this easy tortilla soup is egg-free, tree nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and gluten-free!
What goes into this Mexican soup
This soup is a composition authentic Mexican flavors of onion, garlic, and Anaheim peppers sautéed together with chili powder and coriander. The hearty texture is a composition of shredded chicken, chicken broth and a few canned items: fire roasted tomatoes, corn, green chili’s, and black beans. The toppings (not all shown) are whatever you want! I suggest avocado dices, cilantro, homemade baked tortilla chips or crispy tortilla strips that can be purchased in the salad section at the grocery store near crotons. You can also add jalapeno slices, shredded cheese and sour cream as well but this soup is so flavorful that my husband and I enjoy ours with just avocado and cilantro.
How to make chicken tortilla soup from scratch
In a large stock pot saute the oil with the onion, anaheim pepper, garlic, chili powder, and coriander and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Then add the broth, can of tomatoes, drained and rinsed black beans, can of green chiles, and chicken.
Cover and let it simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. The longer it simmers, the more flavorful but if you need a 30 minute dish, 20 minutes does the trick! When the chicken tortilla soup is ready, serve in a bowl and garnish it with fresh cilantro, avocado slices and crispy tortilla strips!
FAQ’s & Expert tips
This will last up to 4 days due to the poultry. Poultry usually does not stay edible past 4-5 days after being cooked.
Yes you can freeze this soup in a sealed freezer bag with the air removed. Lay it flat to freeze so that it thaws quickly when ready to serve. When freezing, freeze just the soup and the garnishes included and the soup will stay good for 3 months in the freezer.
If you have trouble finding Anaheim pepper, you can opt for another green pepper such as poblano pepper or green bell pepper.
For more satisfying family recipes, check out my cookbook, Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cookbook, 100 satisfying, Family-Friendly Recipes!
Related soup and chili recipes
- Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Turkey Chili With Sweet Potatoes
If you make this healthy chicken tortilla soup recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Anaheim pepper seeded and finely diced, or a poblano pepper or green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles undrained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped for garnish
- 1 avocado diced for garnish (optional)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, Anaheim pepper (or poblano or green bell pepper), garlic, chili powder, and coriander and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onion and pepper are tender.
- Add the broth, tomatoes with their juices, black beans, green chiles with their juices, corn, and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with avocado dices and season with salt and pepper to taste.