Cozy up with a comforting bowl of healthy turkey chili with sweet potatoes! This lightened up chili recipe is so easy to make and includes peppers, sweet potato, onions, tomatoes and bold seasonings that is packed with protein and fiber to keep you satisfied and the waistline in check!
WHY THIS TURKEY CHILI RECIPE WORKS
Less than 100 calories per cup, packed with protein and fiber – this healthy turkey chili with sweet potatoes recipes has about 91 calories per cup and 2 grams of fat. We usually end up eating about 2 cups each topped with avocado slices and my hubby loves his with a swirl of sour cream mixed in. This is deliciously low calorie and filling to help keep a healthy diet on track!
Dinner in under an hour! – it's all about getting a family-friendly meal on the table- and fast! Simply cook the ground turkey meat, chop veggies, mix them in a pot together and wait for the turkey chili with sweet potatoes, peppers, black beans, kidney beans, and spices to cook to the perfect flavor.
Perfect healthy comfort food recipe, especially for a cool winter evening – when the weather gets cooler we tend to want to hibernate and eat foods that comfort us like mashed potatoes, soups (like this cabbage soup), and mac ‘n' cheese or pasta dishes. Well this turkey chili with sweet potatoes encompasses all those cozy cravings into a healthy dish that won't pack on the pounds. I know we can all say yay to that!
WHAT GOES INTO THIS CHILI RECIPE
- Ground turkey meat is the main ingredient, which I prefer to use the leanest kind (99% fat-free) to keep this a low fat chili recipe.
- Beans – kidney beans and black beans
- Vegetables – onion, sweet potatoes, green pepper, tomato paste, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chili's.
- Seasonings and broth – chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper.
- Olive oil – for cooking the ground turkey meat.
- Garnishes – such as fresh cilantro leaves and avocado.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TURKEY CHILI RECIPE PERFECT
First in a large saucepan saute and the turkey meat with olive oil and chop it into very fine pieces as it cooks. Then in a large pot add the cooked meat with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and let it start to boil to heat, then turn the heat to low to simmer for 20 minutes.
While the turkey chili with sweet potatoes simmers, chop up fresh cilantro and avocado for garnishes. When the turkey chili is finished cooking, use a meat pounder or potato masher to slightly mash the soup. This will help it thicken and have a slightly “creamy” texture without the cream. If you want a thicker soup, let it simmer for longer than 20 minutes. And the leftovers are amazing! As the chili settles, the ingredients become more flavorful.
FAQs and EXPERT TIPS
For a healthy chili recipe the leaner the meat is best. I prefer to use 99% lean, but any variation will work.
This healthy turkey chili with sweet potatoes runs thinner and has less calories due to the broth. Use 1 cup less broth for a thicker soup, or let it simmer uncovered longer until the desired thickness is met.
Make sure all the vegetables are chopped evenly for a consistent texture. I recommend dicing them to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness.
Mushroom, Squash, and Tomato Chili Vegetable Soup – super light and healthy soup recipe!
Creamy Taco Chili Soup – this one is great for meatless Mondays- made without meat😊.
Crockpot Creamy Chicken Taco Chili – so delicious! It is a recipe passed down from my mama😊 made with chicken, cream cheese, beans and chili spices.
Spicy Sweet Potato Pasta with Peanut Sauce and Chicken – bursting with Vitamin A, spiralized noodles and a delicious peanut sauce over cooked rotisserie poultry.
If you make this healthy turkey chili with sweet potatoes from DelightfulMomFood I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 2 15 ounce cans kidney beans with liquid
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chili's
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 green pepper top and seeds removed, diced into small pieces (about 1/4 inch in size)
- 1 cup sweet potato peeled and diced into small pieces (about 1/4-1/2 inch in size)
- 1 cup white onion diced (about 1/4 inch in size)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- In a medium saucepan, add olive oil and ground turkey. Cook on medium-high heat and using a wooden spatula, chop the meat into tiny pieces as it cooks. Continue to flip and chop the ground turkey meat until cooked through. After it cooks make sure to use the end of the wooden spatula to chop the meat into fine pieces.
- In a large pot add the cooked turkey meat, and the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on high until it comes to a slight boil on the edges. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash up the chili to break down the beans and thicken the soup. If you want it thicker, let it cook slightly uncovered to remove more liquid.
- Serve and garnish with avocado slices and cilantro. You can also add sour cream and cheese to garnish.