Serve these fluffy gluten-free and vegan sweet potato biscuits at your next dinner party or holiday feast when you crave a little extra comfort food. They hold a soft texture, are simple to make and no waiting for any breads to rise!
WHY THIS SWEET POTATO RECIPE WORKS
Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamin A, fiber and potassium, making these vegan sweet potato biscuits a tasty and nourishing alternative to spice up a regular biscuit recipes. These gluten-free biscuits are slightly sweet with a cinnamon spice aroma, and apple sauce is used in place of eggs. The sweet potatoes are cooked with skins removed and can be either blended in a food processor for a smoother texture with the other liquid ingredients or mashed and mixed into the biscuit batter with gluten-free flour.
These sweet potato biscuits are fantastic even if you are not on a gluten-free or vegan diet! But don’t just take my word for it, try them and their delicious Fall flavors!
WHAT GOES INTO THIS RECIPE
Ingredients for sweet potato biscuits are a freshly cooked medium-size sweet potato (just the inside, without the skin). Mix it with gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, apple sauce, avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil, a tiny bit of maple syrup, and vinegar you have a spectacular fluffy biscuit recipe! The secret is adding apple cider vinegar which helps fluff these babies up!
HOW TO MAKE THIS GLUTEN-FREE BISCUIT RECIPE
STEP 1. Cook the sweet potato and let it cool until you are able to handle it. Mix in a bowl all of the ingredients until you get a consistency that resembles the one in image 1. The batter will be slightly sticky. You can also do this in advance, remove the center and store in the refrigerator and use it when ready to make this sweet potato recipe.
STEP 2. Flour parchment paper and lay out the dough. Add about 1 tablespoon of gluten-free flour on top and pat it down or roll it out with a rolling pin until the dough is ½ an inch thick.
STEP 3. Use a 2 x 2 ½-inch cookie cutter to cut out the biscuits. Then baste the tops with water just to blend in extra flour. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden in color.
To store sweet potato biscuits, leave them on the counter in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The can also be frozen in a sealed airtight bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. Best served fresh if on the counter within 2 days.
This can be made gluten-free or with regular flour if gluten is not an issue. If using gluten-free and dairy is an issue, make sure the flour contains no dairy.
- Potato Salad – my hubby would agree this is a fabulous side dish any time of the year!
- Sweet Potato Smoothie – another fun and delicious ways to eat sweet potatoes! They add natural fiber and vitamins to smoothies.
- Spicy Sweet Potato Pasta with Peanut Sauce and Chicken – a satisfying dinner using sweet potato noodles in place of traditional pasta!
If you make these vegan sweet potato biscuits from DelightfulMomFood I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Sweet Potato Biscuits (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- ½ cup cooked sweet potatoes inside only with skin removed (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour plus more for rolling out the dough
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- ½ cup apple sauce unsweetened
- 2 ½ tablespoons avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Microwave or Bake the Sweet Potato (can be done in advance)
- To microwave: Rinse and poke a hole in the sweet potato. Microwave for about 5 minutes or until cooked through and soft. Let cool slightly then push out the inside of potato.To bake in the oven: Rinse and poke a hole in the sweet potato. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for about 30-45 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Push out inside of potato.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the sweet potato meat, apple sauce, oil, maple syrup and vinegar. Mix together to form a sticky dough.
- Place the sticky dough on a floured piece of parchment paper and top with about 1 tablespoon of flour. Roll or pat down the dough out on a floured work surface to a ½-inch thickness. Cut the dough into rounds using a biscuit cookie cutter about 2 x 2 ½-inch round. Place the biscuits on an parchment paper lined baking sheet. Baste the tops with water to blend in the flour on top. Bake the biscuits on the middle rack of the oven for 12-15 minutes until a brilliant golden orange and lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a baking rack and let the biscuits cool for 10 minutes.
This post has been updated.