Ridiculously good and comforting vegan sweet potato stew! So rich in flavor and nutrients to energize your body on those cooler days! It is gluten-free, and made without grains.
Why this sweet potato stew recipe is so awesome
Stewed sweet potatoes are delicious in soups and stews! This easy recipe has all the moroccan flavors mixed with natural sweetness of sweet potatoes.
This sweet potato stew is a healthy vegan and vegetarian meal that cooks in 30 minutes, is low in fat, lactose-free, and is filled with anti-inflammatory spices and spices that assist to regulate blood sugar levels. Plus it is loaded with nutrients!
Nutrition in Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are rich in sources of beta-carotene and an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, B vitamins, fiber and potassium. Just one sweet potato can give school age children a good amount of their daily intake of vitamin A! [source] They are also high in antioxidants and minerals including:
What ingredients goes into this recipe
- Vegetables – this stew is filled with sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, kale, watercress, garlic, and tomato paste.
- Broth – the broth is a savory combination of vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar, white wine, and the tomato paste adds a touch of sweet.
- Spices – cumin, cinnamon, smoked paprika (or try these paprika substitutes), ginger, nutmeg, black pepper, and add salt to taste before enjoying.
How to make this stew
Peel and chop (into small ½-inch chunks) about 8 cups worth or about 8 medium (5″ long) sweet potatoes. Costco has a large container of organic and already peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, which is great to use for convenience.
Chop the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and add everything into a large pot. Cover and bring to boil and then once it comes to a boil turn down the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.
I highly recommend adding a little dash of cayenne pepper or chili powder to this sweet potato stew for a sweet and spicy kick- if you are into that kinda thing:-).
What to serve with stew and soup
If you make this vegetarian sweet potato stew from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Sweet Potato Stew (Vegetarian and Vegan)
- 8 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots halved and chopped
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup baby kale leaves
- 1 cup watercress leaves
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Peel and chop (into small ½-inch chunks) about 8 cups worth or about 8 medium (5" long) sweet potatoes.
- Chop the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and add everything into a large pot. Cover and bring to boil and then once it comes to a boil turn down the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.