This healthy yet creamy potato salad recipe is like savory fingers of comfort food at its best. Instead of traditional red potatoes, fingerling potatoes make a flavorsome paring bathed in a creamy vegan sauce. It is sure to please a crowd at a summer picnic!
I promise you will love the combination of flavors in this easy potato salad recipe! It is vegan and creamy and incredibly healthy. That sounds contradictory, right? I mean really, can something that is creamy really be healthy? Well on this blog it sure can! And the flavors? Well it is a combination of low fat vegan mayonnaise tossed with a dash of sugar, the tart flavor of apple cider vinegar and the pizzazz of dry mustard that make it delicious!
When we think about certain foods or get a whiff of fresh baked cookies melting in the oven it usually takes us back to a memory. Foods are powerful how they can do that- either a good or bad memory. For me when I smell potatoes boiling on the stove I think of a good home cooked dinner my mom would make like her creamy mashed potatoes. Or some delicious soup cooking on the stove like my Rainbow Chard Soup. But then the aroma of freshly chopped celery and onion tickle my nose and I picture backyard picnics in the summer or a fresh homemade potato salad at our Easter table. This recipe is one of our family favorite potato salads – only tweaked into the next generation (and that means lower in fat and with the skins on).
Most traditional potato salad recipes are made with red skinned potatoes. For this recipe you can totally use that, or purple, or golden potatoes. They all work well since their skin is delicate. I happened to come across gorgeous colorful fingerling potatoes at the grocery store and thought they would be fun for this recipe. They are small and thin so it takes some of the prep work out of the formula since they boil quickly.
No need for pre chopping potatoes to make an easy potato salad. Just put whole fingerling potatoes in a pot of boiling salted water. Boil for about 10 minutes until tender. Strain out the water and let the potatoes cool. Once they are cooled dice them into about 1″ pieces. Then add chopped celery and onion and the dressing.
Potato salads can be easily prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until needed. And all the ingredients are inexpensive and consist of mainly vegetables. This easy potato salad is perfect for large gatherings or Easter brunch! I even love to just snack on this during the day.
- ⅓ cup of vegan mayonnaise (or regular mayonnaise can be used)
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar (Xylitol or Coconut Sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 5 Tablespoons coconut milk (not canned)
- 1 pound bag of fingerling potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup green onion, diced
- In a medium pot on the stove boil water and add a dash of salt and fingerling potatoes. Boil for 10 minutes or until soft. Strain the water and let the potatoes cool. In the meantime make the dressing.
- For the dressing whisk together mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon parsley, sugar, apple cider vinegar, dry mustard and coconut milk.
- When potatoes have cooled dice into 1" pieces and add to a large bowl. Add the diced celery, green onion, parsley, and dressing and toss until coated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to chill before serving.