Use seasonal spring asparagus for this easy roasted asparagus and carrots recipe! It makes an excellent side dish in as little as 20 minutes – hands-free!
Spring has sprung, have you gotten to dive into this seasons’ best produce yet? It includes asparagus, carrots, kale, and citrus fruits. These easy roasted vegetables are wonderful to serve as a side dish with rice, along side of oven roasted brussels sprouts, with top sirloin steak, and lemon honey chicken.
Pro tips for roasting vegetables
Make sure the vegetables are spread on a sheet pan evenly and not overlapping, which helps keep the vegetables evenly baked. Also make sure to flip them about halfway through and check to see if they are tender. Asparagus and thin carrots cook up pretty quickly, within 10-15 minutes. They may need more or less time depending on how crispy or tender your preference is.
Roasted Asparagus and Carrots: Ingredients
This easy healthy side dish only takes 5-6 six ingredients, if you count seasonings as an ingredient😉. It serves 2-4 people, and the recipe can be double or tripled for a larger crowd.
Fresh asparagus, which comes in either thick asparagus stalks or thin ones. First cut rinse and line up the asparagus on a cutting board and cut off about 2 inches of the bottom end, which is usually tough and fibrous to chew. Add them baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray, or line the pan with foil for easy clean-up.
Fresh baby carrots which makes this recipe easy and cuts the preparation time in half since there is no need for peeling and chopping carrots. Add the carrots to the pan on another area. Baby carrots can come in thick or thin slices as well so the baking time may vary depending on the thickness.
Extra virgin olive oil to coat the vegetables and prevent sticking.
Seasoning: salt, pepper and garlic powder. Over the vegetables pour 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Using your hands mix them together, careful not to mix the carrots with the asparagus and keep the vegetables from not overlapping. This helps to see the cooking time.
It is optional to garnish the vegetables with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and sprinkle of nutritional yeast flakes or finely grated Parmesan cheese.
Oven baking times for asparagus and carrots
As noted, asparagus stalks and carrot sizes vary. Bake them at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then flip and bake an additional 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick they are). If they are very thin, they may only need to bake for 10 minutes total without flipping. If they are thicker, add about 5-10 minutes longer. Test the asparagus and carrots according to your texture preference. For these images I baked the roasted vegetables a total of 15 minutes which leaves a little bit of crunch in the center.
What to serve with this roasted asparagus and carrots recipe
- Foil Baked Cod Fish
- On top of this Arugula Quinoa Salad
- Turkey Meatloaf
- Skillet Goat Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Easy Roasted Asparagus and Carrots
- 1 bunch asparagus medium size (about 24 stalks)
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- nutritional yeast flakes optional garnish
- fresh lemon juice optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking pan with foil then spray with cooking oil for easy clean-up, or spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Rinse the asparagus and cut of about 2 inches of the bottom ends. Add the asparagus to half of the pan and carrots to the other half, making sure not to overlap them. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Using your hands, mix it coat, not mixing the carrots and asparagus together and still keeping them apart so they do not overlap. Bake for 10 minutes, flip over and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, if needed. This is depending on how thick the asparagus are. Garnish with nutritional yeast and lemon and season to taste with additional salt if needed.