Sauteed Asparagus With Fried Eggs enriched with leeks is a great solution for an inexpensive and healthy vegetarian brunch or dinner.
The most efficient structure for dinner is to use your time efficiently. Making whole dishes or components in advance whenever possible. But last week when dinner time rolled around I was completely clueless as to what to make. I opened the refrigerator to find that all that starred me in the eyes was eggs, potatoes and fresh seasonal asparagus. My first reaction was Boring! until we fancied it up on the frying pan. We made tender-crisp asparagus with sauteed leeks topped with fried eggs and dusted with flavorful Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Almost every other week we visit the Farm-Stead to gather our seasonal produce for the week. Slightly exciting to come up with new recipes from the seasonal vegetables bring home. Vegetables when fresh don't need over-seasoning, especially with salt and pepper. So season well and appropriately as you go. Sauteed Asparagus with fried egg is a perfect solution for dinners when you need a simple solution for what to make in less than 20 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 bunch of Asparagus stalks
- ½ cup leeks chopped ¼ inch thick
- 4 Eggs
- 3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- micro-greens optional
- salt and white pepper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and leeks over low heat. Meanwhile rinse asparagus under cool to lukewarm water. Then snap off the woody white ends (about 1 inch above where the white is) then add the prepared asparagus to saucepan. Increase heat to medium and sprinkle with salt and white pepper. Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until tender-crisp but not soggy. Make sure to stir constantly as it cooks to prevent sticking.
- While asparagus are cooking make the eggs. In a nonstick pan melt 1 tablespoon butter on medium heat. Crack the eggs in individual bowls to make sure no egg shells fall and that the yolks have not broken. Add the eggs side by side to the pan. When outer eggs turn opaque (after about 1 minute), turn down heat to low and cover with a lid to trap in the heat and steam them. Wait about 4 minutes and the tops should be cooked, but yolk still runny.
- On a serving tray, layer asparagus and top with cooked eggs. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and micro-greens. Serve immediately.