The best versions of this familiar pot pie are made with chili and cheese. This cornbread spring pot pie version is a creamy vegetable base made with spring’s flavorful asparagus, sweet corn, zucchini and carrots. Don’t hesitate to add or substitute it with whatever seasonal vegetables are available.
For the cornbread crust, I decided to add Greek yogurt instead of milk. This adds more protein to the dish (especially great if you are omitting the chicken) but also keeps the topping crispy and in tact as it bakes. And to create a super quick throw-together dinner, I ended up getting a roast chicken from Costco and shredded half of it into this recipe. We had a whole other half of the meat for chicken tacos the next night all for under $5.
Cornbread Spring Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 package of Krusteaz Gluten-Free Corn Bread mix
- 1 egg beaten
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup asparagus chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- ¼ cup leeks chopped
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup of milk or unsweetened plain coconut milk
- ⅓ cup gluten-free or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- pinch of coconut sugar
- optional 2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and diced OR ½ roasted chicken, shredded
- Prepare cornbread mixture, set aside. Preheat oven at 400 degrees F. Spray pie dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan add asparagus, carrots, zucchini, corn, leeks, vegetable broth, milk, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, sugar. Cook on medium-low for about 5 minutes until vegetables are softened. Add flour and blend. If vegetarian, leave out chicken. If using chicken, add diced chicken.
- Pour pie mixture into prepared pie dish. Scoop your cornbread mixture over the vegetable base. You can smooth it over with a spatula or leave it on top in chunks for a crispier topping.
- Bake, uncovered, for 28-30 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown. Cover and let stand for about 20 minutes before serving.