Coconut granola bites drizzled in warm melted chocolate compounded into one sentence equals the question "Can it really be healthy?" Yes! And delicious! My husband and kids absolutely love these coconut granola bites and I make them all the time into granola bars. But this time I tried baking it in a muffin pan and it was way more convenient to pop them suckers out, all ready to decorate with chocolate and eat in their individual compact forms.
This past Thursday night we had a friend over for dinner and I made a lovely tomato cucumber salad with grilled asparagus and cheesy grilled chicken sausage sandwiches. To top the night off (and really good red wine), we had these granola "bites" for dessert. These coconut granola bites are great for snacks for kids, snacks to take to sports games, or as a dessert and they are high in fiber, protein and have no processed sugars.
Coconut Granola Bites
- 2 cups rolled oats gluten-free
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Topping: ¼ cup melted vegan mini semi-sweet chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line with cupcake liners a muffin pan and spray with cooking spray or use a silicone muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut sugar, shredded coconut, cinnamon, flour, almonds, flax seeds and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the maple syrup, egg, apple sauce, oil and vanilla. Mix well using a spoon or your hands. Scoop about ½ cup into each muffin section and pat down to compact and ensure even baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the granola muffins begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate chips in a bowl in the oven on 250 degrees 3-5 minutes or in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minutes until slightly melted. Stir until fully melted and with a fork drizzle the melted chocolate over granola bites. Let cool then serve.