Perfectly crunchy and baked in the oven, these healthy homemade tortilla chips are sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Plus, all you need is three ingredients and you can have a delicious healthy snack in no time!
Why this is the best tortilla chip recipe
Enjoy the perfect crunch while being low fat, plus baked not fried! When it's a Mexican inspired feast, guacamole and salsa always need a bowl of fresh chips. Serve the baked tortilla chips as they are or enjoy them with taco bowls, fresh salsa, salads, as taco crisps in taco soup, and more. This recipe is sure to satisfy your craving for something crunchy and delicious!
- corn tortillas
- avocado oil cooking spray
- pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make tortilla chips in the oven
Just two easy steps-by-step instructions for the best homemade tortilla chips baked in the oven!
Using a sharp knife, place the tortillas about 2-3 at a time on a cutting board. Cut into 8 sections that resemble wedges or triangles.
Spread out the corn triangles on a baking sheet or cookie sheet so they do not overlap. Spray with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with salt to season. Bake until crisp.
Hint: Make sure the corn triangles are not overlapping. This ensures even heating throughout and creates a crispy baked tortilla chip.
Want to make baked tortilla chips with flour tortillas? This you can do with the same method as using corn tortillas only the baking time is less.
- Flour tortillas - instead of baking for 12-15 minutes, check the tortillas after 7-10 minutes for doneness. They are done when they are lightly browned and crisp in texture when you break them apart. Flour tortillas tend to heat up much quicker than corn ones so they take less baking time.
Hint: gluten-free tortillas heat up really fast and can burn easily. Check them right at 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 10 minutes as different oven temperatures vary.
Giving a basic recipe for homemade tortilla chips means you can change them up with various flavors from this simple one recipe! Here's how to turn them into seasoned baked tortilla chips that are spicy or cinnamon sugar ones for dessert!
- Spicy - add paprika and chili pepper powder over the chips after salting them for added flavor.
- Cinnamon Sugar Dessert Chips - after spraying the tortillas with cooking spray, instead of salt sprinkle with a combination of cinnamon and sugar. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of a favorite sugar. We like coconut sugar, monk fruit, or Xylitol. Sprinkle over the chips before baking. Make more cinnamon sugar topping as needed.
- Tortilla Crisps - crunch the chips up to break them into smaller pieces after they are baked. Add them to soups and salads for additional crunch and taste.
See this homemade tortilla recipe enjoyed with vegetarian tortilla soup, or chicken tortilla soup on my website!
Equipment is easy when making homemade tortilla chips! All you need is a baking sheet pan to put in the oven, knife, and cutting board.
Here are some of the ones we recommend (affiliate links):
Store the chips in a sealed bag in a cool dry place like the pantry. They will stay fresh and crisp for about a week.
These corn chips don't stand up well in wet places like the refrigerator as it can make them soggy.
Don't overcook the tortilla chips! Cook just until lightly browned. Any longer and they resemble the smell of burnt popcorn!
If your homemade tortilla chips are chewy when baked in the oven there are a few factors. It is most likely just needing more cooking time, or the edges overlap other chips. It can also be if the corn tortillas are a moist brand. To fix this, simple add 2 minutes at time more baking time until they come out crisp.
Mexican restaurants make their chips by frying them in oil. Most oils used in frying are not healthy, so we suggest trying baked tortilla chips! This recipe is super easy, healthy, crunchy and delicious!
To ensure your chips are crispy test them out before removing them from the oven. Take one chip and break it in half. If it bends, it needs additional baking time. If it snaps, it is done!
It is easy to make homemade tortilla chips baked in the oven! Just cut corn tortillas into wedges or triangles like you would a pizza. Then place them on a cookie sheet or baking tray, spray with cooking oil and lightly season with salt. Bake to crisp perfection!
Easy related recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dips to serve with baked tortilla chips recipe:
If you make these baked homemade tortilla chips from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below.
Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe
- non-stick baking pan
- cutting board
- chef knife
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stack the corn tortillas and slice and using a knife cut into 6 triangular sections.
- Lay the tortilla slices on a baking pan and spray with olive oil cooking spray then sprinkle evenly with Himalayan salt.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly crispy. Try to make sure they do not turn too brown. If they are soft at 12 minutes cook another 3 minutes to harden.
Leave a Reply