Healthy vegetarian tortilla soup full of savory Mexican vegetables, green chilies, sweet corn, spices and loads of flavor! It's a healthy family meal ready in about 30 minutes!
This is one of my favorite recipes since it comes together well with delicious hearty ingredients. The secrets to this tortilla soup are the green chilies and chili powder, which add loads of flavor with the complimentary sweetness of corn. I typically skip the adding a jalapeno pepper as it’s not too spicy for my kids, but you can add a diced one with seeds removed (or not!) for extra heat if desired.
This meatless tortilla soup can be made in almost 30 minutes and the leftovers taste even better!
HOW TO MAKE VEGETARIAN TORTILLA SOUP
The quick version is over the stove and this vegetarian soup recipe can be make in the slow cooker or on the stove. This recipe calls for 2 cans of black beans, which you can also use 3 cups of homemade black beans using this recipe.
This is simple, delicious and healthy! And what makes it even more spectacular is adding crushed tortillas into the mix (although that is not calculated in the nutrition- FYI).
Related: Enchilada Casserole
Stove top vegetarian tortilla soup
In a large pot heat the oil, onions, peppers, garlic, chili powder and coriander over the stove on medium-high heat to sautee them to a tender texture. This makes the tortilla soup more flavorful.
Add the broth, fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, green chilies (with juice), and fresh or frozen corn kernels. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, covered and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and avocado slices.
Slow Cooker vegetarian tortilla soup
Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker (crock pot) and cook on low for 2-4 hours. Before serving, garnish with fresh cilantro and avocado slices.
Best tortilla soup toppings
We sometimes keep our soup dairy-free but if dairy is not a concern by all means load that Mexican soup up with cheese! Other toppings are avocado, cilantro, sour cream, red pepper flakes. You can also add crushed tortilla chips into the soup, serve them on the side with fresh salsa.
Tortilla soup freezes well too! Store any leftovers (or make this for meal prep and freeze for later in the week) in a sealable freezer bag. Make sure to squeeze out all of the air. Lay it flat in the freezer so it is thaws quickly. Reheat on the stove until warmed.
This meal is so easy, healthy, flavorful, bold, chunky, full of Mexican spices with the option for a spicier soup and overall lip smacking good!
More favorite healthy Mexican family meals:
- Creamy Vegetarian Taco Chili Soup
- 10-Minute Vegetarian Taco Salad Bowl
- Enchilada Casserole
- Pizza Stew (super kid-friendly!)
- Tofu Tacos
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Southwest Sauce
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 Anaheim pepper seeds removed and diced finely
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado sliced or diced for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, chili powder, and coriander and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes with their juice, beans, green chiles with their juice, and corn. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes to blend flavors, Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, avocado, and optional red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker (crock pot) and cook on low for 2-4 hours. Before serving, garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado, and optional red pepper flakes.
Optional Garnishes and Additions
- Avocado, cilantro is adding in nutrition.
- Optional to add crushed tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream into the soup, though that is not included in the nutrition information of vegetarian tortilla soup.