A flavorsome and simple method to enjoy cold and hot lemon water and 10 benefits why you should be drinking lemon water every day including for detox, hydration, gorgeous skin and efficient liver function!
Lemon water is a popular drink both morning and throughout the day. For good reasons too! Not only do lemons add abundance of flavor to otherwise bland water, it helps to detox the body and cleanse it for weight loss, clear and radiant skin, boost the immune system, improve digestion, liver function and promotes overall wellness! This is a wonderful detox drink to add to your every day routine along with the widely-favored apple cider vinegar drink, detox water recipes, fruit infused detox waters and lemon cucumber mint detox water.
All of these recipes helps to assist to lose belly fat and cleanse the body with the combination of a healthy diet. But to jump start the body for success, it all begins with what you put into your body first thing in the morning.
What are the benefits to drink warm lemon water in the morning?
Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning jump starts the digestive tract. It activates the enzymes in the stomach and assists the liver to start to produce bile. This bile improves digestion, which assists to speed the metabolism.
Warm lemon water in the morning also helps to hydrate the body and pushes out toxins and free radicals that the body has processed after fasting when sleeping.
The body is completely interconnected so when the liver is functioning properly it is able to allow other vital organs to do their job.
I suggest drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning then wait 20 minutes before eating or drinking anything else. From there you can incorporate it through the day. And here is why…
10 Benefits of drinking lemon water
1. Glowing Vibrant Skin
Getting rid of toxins in the body helps your skin radiate with a lively glow! Thanks to vitamin C and hydration, your skin will look brighter and can even help clear acne.
2. Reduce Inflammation
Lemons are packed with fiber and warm lemon water increases hydration as it is quickly absorbed into the body. When the body is hydrated it has less need to hold onto the fluid which presents itself as inflammation and swelling because the body thinks it needs to hold on that extra fluid. It is a fight or flight situation that can be tackled by giving the body the hydration it needs.
3. Natural Detox and Weight Loss Drink
As lemon water flushes out the body from toxins, hydrates the body and promotes digestion – these components help to detox the body and prepare it for weight loss. Lemons are also low calorie so its a much healthier alternative to those high-calorie sugary drinks.
When your body can digest foods properly and is hydrated, it is able to work properly like a well-oiled engine. This fruit water also contains pectin fiber which ward off cravings and hunger to promote weight loss.
4. Provides Natural Energy Without Caffeine
When your body is hydrated the brain thinks clearer, and you have more natural energy to function. That means you can ween off the caffeine kick!
5. Boosts Immune System
Vitamin C is in lemons and it is a powerful antioxidant which helps to fight off colds, sickness, and reverse oxidation in cells.
6. Balances the Body’s pH Levels
Lemons are acid but they alkalize the blood so colds and disease can not flourish.
7. Lemon Water Decreases Depression and Anxiety
The smell of lemons and citrus has a calming effect on the brain that has been linked to decreasing depression and anxiety.
8. Better Digestion and Is Good For The Liver
Lemons have fiber to flush the body and stimulate healthy digestion. Citrus flavonoids in lemons helps to protect the liver from toxins, flush those toxins out with water and promote liver production of bile, which also aids in digestion
9. Helps Beat Bad Breath
Lemon water can kill bad bacteria and provides healing which can get rid of bad breath.
10. Lemon Water Helps Flush Kidney Stones
Lemons are made up of citric acid which is citrate. Citrate breaks down calcium, which is what kidney stones are made of. Drinking lemon water when you have kidney stones puts the citrate in the urine to break down those stones and flush them out.
Related: Healing Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
How and When to drink lemon water and tips
- As we see from all of lemon water’s benefits, adding lemon juice in water is a wonderful way to stay healthy! Enjoy hot lemon water or warm lemon water in the morning and before bed for optimal health benefits. When drinking it in the morning, wait 20 minutes before eating or drinking anything else to activate the digestive system.
- To drink lemon water during the day, squeeze a bit of lemon juice into a warm, hot or cold glass of water. Feel free to add cucumber and/or ginger and fresh herbs for anti-inflammatory benefits and extra flavor!
- Since lemons are acidic and can erode the enamel of teeth, after drinking lemon water make sure to rinse your mouth out with fresh water.
If you want to find balance, a good detox drink, lose weight, reduce inflammation and swelling, breakdown fats, then start drinking lemon water as a first step! Enjoy!
Related: Lemon Cucumber Mint Detox Water
- 1/2 lemon
- 8 ounces water hot or warm for morning and night, chilled throughout the day
- 1 inch ginger, 1 teaspon honey, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or herbs such as fresh mint, basil, oregano or thyme for garnish Optional add-ons
- Heat water or serve chilled over ice.
- Pour water into a cup or mug. Add lemon and enjoy!
- Optional to add the additions for extra flavor and health benefits.