Homemade aloe vera juice recipe with tips how to cut an aloe plant properly. Drinking aloe juice is great for detoxification, hydration, weight loss, digestion, acne and more!
The aloe vera plant has amazing medicinal properties, and when the clear gel is ingested internally provides incredible healing benefits. As a topical healer, pharmacologically aloe provides active ingredients for soothing sunburn, curing acne and acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-fungal [source]. The aloe plant is great to use the gel for topical use and to turn into a refreshing aloe vera juice recipe. Below I share exactly what you need to know about using natural aloe for drinking.
WHY PURE ALOE VERA JUICE IS SO GREAT
- Only 2 ingredients and a blender needed! This aloe vera drink recipe is made with only 2 ingredients plus options to add extra flavors.
- Extremely healthy drink and better than store-bought. Homemade aloe vera juice contains higher nutrients than aloe vera juice that has sat on a shelf in a store, which maximizes the benefits of drinking aloe. Since aloe vera oxidizes once it is cut it, the plant will start to loose nutrients and so it is best to consume it right away when the plant is cut.
WAYS TO USE ALOE GEL
- Use the aloe vera gel to moisturize skin and relieve sunburn
- Rub on the face to treat and prevent acne
- Treat cuts, burns, and bee stings
- Add it with water and drink this aloe vera juice recipe as is or with flavorful additions such as lemon, honey, or juice
- Freeze any extra aloe vera gel into small cubes and add it to smoothies such as blueberry banana smoothie, matcha smoothie bowls, anti-inflammatory smoothie, and this green smoothie recipe
- Add any extra aloe gel to other juice recipes such as detox beet juice, green machine juice, and this green detox juice juice for weight loss
WHAT INGREDIENTS GO INTO THIS RECIPE
Only two ingredients are needed and a spoon or knife to scoop out the aloe gel from the inside of the leaves. What you need:
- one large aloe vera leaf
- fresh water
MAKING ALOE VERA JUICE AT HOME
Making aloe vera juice is super simple and a refreshing DIY beverage! First, wash the aloe plant and slice the top and bottom ends off of the aloe leaf using a knife. Then slice the sides off, removing the stings. From there you can peel open the leaf into two halves, or use a knife to slice off one side. The green skin and any yellow or green colored gel is toxic so make sure to remove that and wash it again after opening and completely discard the skin.
Using a sharp knife or spoon, scoop or scrape across the bottom of the plant to remove the clear gel. Hold the gel with your hands under water to rinse it off.
Add 2 tablespoons of the aloe vera gel to a blender with 1 cup of water. Blend for 1 minute to combine and enjoy right away.
This aloe vera juice recipe has no taste and tastes like water. To make it “juicier” you can add 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup to the blender and a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice. Or in place of water use coconut water to make a coconut water aloe vera juice recipe.
HOW TO FREEZE LEFTOVER ALOE VERA GEL
Freezing leftover gel is wonderful to add to smoothies for a later time. It preserves the nutrients from oxidizing. Add it to a one-inch ice cube tray to freeze and cover until ready to use.
ALOE VERA JUICE BENEFITS
Internally: Aloe vera is an anti-inflammatory and supports lipid and carbohydrate metabolism which helps to maintain and balance sugar, cholesterol levels in blood, and body weight. It also contains extremely high antioxidant compositions, which remove and prevent free-radicals from entering the body [source]. Aloe plants act as an antibacterial, antitumor, and can help treat rheumatoid arthritis, detox the body, promote digestion and treat gastrointestinal disorders and immune system issues [source].
Externally: When aloe is applied externally it regenerates damaged skin, and acts as an anti-bacterial and anti-fugal healer. It can also promote hair growth (yes add it to gel and conditioners!).
Drinking aloe vera is a wonderful way to get all these benefits. My favorite being that it is a detox drink that supports weight loss, and treats digestion, inflammation, arthritis, immune deficiencies, and heals!
A little goes a long way so I suggest drinking one glass per day of this aloe vera drink recipe for its health benefits.
Since aloe vera promotes a healthy digestive tract, it is wonderful for detoxing and to active the metabolism. Add this detox juice to your daily or weekly routine.
It is safe to drink 8 ounces of aloe vera juice everyday.
Drinking an aloe vera juice recipe everyday is good for digestion, clean skin, hydration, detoxification, reducing inflammation, increasing antioxidant intake, weight loss support and treating arthritis.
The skin of an aloe leaf contains toxins that can cause kidney failure. This is in an extreme version, or if there is an allergy to aloe. Make sure to discard and not consume any of the green or yellow from the aloe plant.
If you make this aloe vera juice recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER and tag me to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Aloe Vera Juice Recipe
- 1 aloe vera leaf
- 1 cup filtered drinking water
- optional to add 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for flavor
- Wash the aloe plant and slice the top and bottom ends off of the aloe leaf using a knife. Then slice the sides off, removing the stings. From there you can peel open the leaf into two halves, or use a knife to slice off one side. The green skin and any yellow or green colored gel is toxic so make sure to remove that and wash it again after opening and completely discard the skin.
- Using a sharp knife or spoon, scoop or scrape across the bottom of the plant to remove the clear gel. Hold the gel with your hands under water to rinse it off.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the aloe vera gel to a blender with 1 cup of water (and any sweetener or citrus if desired – see notes below). Blend for 1 minute to combine and enjoy right away.