A savory, gingery and healthy stir fry vegetables recipe made with chunks of carrots, snow peas, onion, mushrooms, celery, broccoli, red peppers, and bok choy tossed in the best stir fry sauce! Serve these stir fry veggies for a quick dinner over rice, quinoa or as a side.
Oh my glory, this healthy vegetable stir fry recipe is amazing! Don’t take my word for it- I truly hope you make it yourself!
We can not seem to get enough stir fry vegetables around here! And there are so many variations to make it using any of your favorite vegetables. In addition to vegetables, cooked chicken, shrimp or steak can be added in for a heartier dish.
Stir-frying vegetables is s technique that originated in China, where a small amount of oil is added to a wok or frying pan to cook vegetables and meats on high heat. The sauce makes the vegetables delicious, flavors bold and calories low.
What vegetables to use
This healthy vegetable stir fry recipe uses:
• Bok choy
• Red bell peppers
• Yellow onions
• Snow peas
I like a lot of vegetables! But if you prefer to keep it more simple, you can use a few of these vegetables and not as large of a mixture by doubling the quantity of a few of the items. Additional vegetables that are divine to use in stir fry vegetables are:
• Bean sprouts
• Green bell peppers
• Water cress
How to make healthy vegetable stir fry
First it is all about the sauce! That is what brings out the maximum flavor in the veggies.
Stir fry sauce
The sauce is made up of sesame oil, vegetable broth or chicken broth, oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, gluten-free soy sauce and lime juice. What gives this easy stir fry sauce its punch of flavor is the oyster sauce and lime juice!
Let’s make the sauce for veggies, shall we?!
In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth, coconut aminos, oyster sauce, lime juice, sugar and cornstarch until blended. Set aside. In a large skillet or wok (can find great ones at Target), heat ½ tablespoon sesame oil on medium heat, and cook the garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Scrape the garlic oil into the bowl with the broth.
That is the stir fry sauce, now time to cook the vegetables!
Stir fry veggies
In the same skillet used for the sauce, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil over medium-high heat. Add the bok choy, carrots, snow peas, celery, onion, pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Add the sauce and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
How to serve vegetables stir fry
Serve this healthy vegetable stir fry recipe over rice, quinoa, spaghetti squash, gluten-free spaghetti noodles, zucchini noodles, as a side, or tossed with cooked chicken, beef or shrimp.
Troubleshooting stir fry vegetables
One thing that is important to note on stir fry is NOT to overcook them! The texture should be crunchy and not soft and mushy. If they look done when adding the sauce, simply turn the heat off and let the sauce thicken by itself. Reheating may make these mushier than desired. FYI:-).
More ethnic recipes & more!
If you make this Vegetable Stir Fry from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Stir Fry Vegetables
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (optional to omit to make this recipe vegan)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 inch fresh ginger minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil separated
- 3 cups bok choy chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots halved lengthwise
- 1 cup yellow onion sliced thin then halved
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 celery stalks (about half a cup) sliced
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth, coconut aminos, oyster sauce, sugar, lime juice, and cornstarch until blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat ½ tablespoon sesame oil on medium heat, and cook the garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Scrape the garlic oil into the bowl with the broth.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil over medium-high heat. Add the bok choy, carrots, snow peas, celery, onion, pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Add the sauce and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Garnish with red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.