Fruit In Paleo Pie Crust ~ A light and refreshing grain free paleo summer dessert.
Fruit in paleo pie crust is one of the simplest summer desserts to make and is so refreshing and light! We are not on an all Paleo diet, but the more research I do, the more I realize how amazing no grains are for you.
I have been reading Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss. It is all about how manufacturers of processed food have also benefited and dominated the consumer good market by covering up health mistakes, and that the amount of sugars and salts in these foods are outrageous! For example, some low fat processed foods have as much as 5 Tablespoons of sugar in them per serving to compensate them being low fat. Five! The food companies are hooked on salt, sugar and fat… Three ingredients aside from grains that are terrible for the human body. Next on my list to read is the Grain Brain.
The way grains and foods are produced are completely different than when our ancestors were around. Most coffee beans and peanut beans are stored in factories for so long and imported from other countries, that they become moldy – making them toxic. Also a contributing factor to the rise in food allergies. Our bodies actually thrive off of healthy fat and cholesterol, but not on the grains and how food is made and produced today. That being said, I am trying out a few new recipes using grain free baked goods.
We just got these amazing berries at the market and I wanted to try a healthy dessert with them. How beautiful and succulent do these beauties look!?!
In our home I don’t bake with white or whole wheat flour. I usually only work with Spelt as I like how it evenly bakes and that it is gluten-free, but (darn) not wheat free. I’ve also been incorporating more coconut flour into the mix for my boys. If you are low on iron, this is a good one as it has about 25% Iron per 1/4 cup. This time I decided to try a pie crust with no flour, grain or wheat and made a paleo version with nuts, coconut oil, egg and vanilla. Fruit in paleo pie crust is a fabulous dessert especially when made with seasonal fresh fruit. And it is AMAZING!
- 1 ½ cups Almond Meal
- 1 ½ cups chopped cashew nuts
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 pitted dates
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries quartered
- mint leaves (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all the crust ingredients in a food processor and blend about 30 seconds until it is combined and smooth.
- Transfer to a pie dish. With hands, press down and spread around the base evenly and up sides. With a fork, poke the bottom of the pie about three times in a circular motion to create holes at the bottom.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Add chopped fruit. Garnish with mint leaves and whipped topping. Serve and enjoy!