Brussels sprouts gratin baked oozing with creamy cheese and flavor. It's a delicious way to ensure you and the family are getting fiber-rich vegetables!
WHY THIS BRUSSELS SPROUTS AU GRATIN RECIPE WORKS
Great way to enjoy all the benefits of brussels sprouts! This brussels sprouts au gratin recipe is one of the BEST ways to eat brussels sprouts! I am not usually one for creamy foods, but this brussels sprouts grain is addictingly good!
Brussels sprouts is among the top 20 most nutritious foods according to their Aggregate Nutrient Density Index score, which measures the nutrients to calories. Brussels sprouts are rich in chlorophyll, and may protect humans against oxidative stress, several cancers, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and hypertension as well as lower cholesterol levels. [source].
Vegetable au gratin is a flavorful and creamy way to appreciate vegetables! What does brussels sprouts gratin taste like? It has a mac ‘n' cheese consistency with a white alfredo sauce flavor mixed with a savory nutty taste. So, if you like comfort food then this seasonal side is for you! All around it is a winning recipe, great for the holidays, and comforting without the carbs other holiday side dishes contain such as mashed potatoes. My little guy loves to eat oven roasted brussels sprouts that are nicely crisp, and the rest of us enjoy it soft and baked in a parmesan cheese sauce!
WHAT GOES INTO THIS RECIPE
A few basic ingredients are used to make brussels sprouts gratin starting with fresh brussels sprouts (or as some say brussel sprouts). Next is the au gratin sauce which is made of milk, shaved or shredded parmesan cheese, cream cheese, butter, chicken bullion powder (this is the secret making it soooo good!), garlic powder, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley for garnish.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
STEP 1: Wash and slice the ends off of the brussels sprouts and prepare them in a 9-inch baking dish.
STEP 2: In a medium saucepan heat the butter, milk, and cream cheese on medium heat until the cheese melts. Then stir in the flour, chicken bullion, garlic powder, vinegar, and quickly mix it to thicken. After the cheese sauce is ready pour it over the brussels sprouts.
STEP 3: The sauce is thick so you may need to use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly.
STEP 4: After the cheese sauce is on, sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly on top.
STEP 5: Cover the brussels sprouts gratin with foil and bake for 25 minutes, and remove the foil and bake uncovered for 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley and serve right away!
FAQs AND EXPERT TIPS
If the brussels sprouts are small you can leave the stems on but if they are large, trim them slightly. Then cut each one in half before adding to a baking pan.
Don't over cook it. This dish is baked covered for 25 minutes, and uncovered for 5 minutes which still leans a little crunch.
Yes, this recipe can be doubled, simply double the recipe and bake it in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
MORE DELICIOUS BRUSSELS SPROUTS RECIPES
If you make this creamy brussels sprouts gratin recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 cup milk (any kind will work, but for best taste use whole milk or cream)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (I used light and whipped)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken bullion powder
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Wash and slice the ends off of the brussels sprouts and prepare them in a 9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan heat the butter, milk, and cream cheese on medium heat until the cheese melts. Quickly stir in the flour, chicken bullion, garlic powder, and vinegar, and mix to slightly thicken. Then pour the cheese mixture over the brussels sprouts. The sauce is thick so you can use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes (if you want a crispier cheese topping, bake uncovered the entire 30 minutes), and remove the foil and bake uncovered for 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley. Serve right away and enjoy!