The perfect oven roasted brussels sprouts tossed and baked in flavorful oil, salt and pepper. Roasted brussels sprouts are gluten-free, vegetarian and for a bonus, delicious topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
Be sure to also try our Easy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts recipe!
Brussels sprouts happen to be so delicious roasted or pan fried, have you tried it that way yet? They are one of my favorite foods to eat!
Personally, I prefer the roasted brussels sprouts version as it takes little effort and can contain less fat and oil. Oven roasted brussels sprouts are kinda like a dump and wait side dish. You dump it, add some oil and seasoning, give it a good mix and wait! Flip the brussels sprouts a couple of times during cooking and what you get is delicious, nutty and crispy roasted vegetables!
Whenever my girlfriends and I go out to dinner together we usually all agree on getting the brussels sprouts if it is listed on the menu. In April we went out to a restaurant for our friend Ashleigh’s birthday and of course what did we get… brussels sprouts! The previous year we went out for my birthday to the same restaurant and what did we get… you guessed it, brussels sprouts! Us gals enjoying sharing tapa style food and oven roasted brussels sprouts are perfect for sharing with a large crowd as an appetizer or side dish!
Like I said, if it is on the menu, we always get it😊!
Being a group of moms with kids (that aren’t babies anymore) our get togethers are rare. Usually coming together as often as birthday celebrations, holiday celebrations and life celebrations. I love my girls and I love the moments we can make it happen!… with brussels sprouts, of course…lol😉.
To make homemade brussels sprouts is simple enough I had to start making them at home- so I don't just enjoy them at celebrations eating out with friends.
What toppings can I add to brussels sprouts
Savory additions are adding a sprinkle of garlic powder, fresh Parmesan cheese, or nutritional yeast on top. It gives the brussels sprouts even more delicious pop in flavor! Or add crumbles of cooked bacon after it comes out of the oven.
I think if you don’t like brussels sprouts, you will now! My husband was not a fan and my kids are so picky and our whole family adores this recipe! Did you hear that… I ACTUALLY got my kids to eat roasted brussels sprouts!!!
What oil can I use to make oven roasted brussels sprouts
This brussels sprouts recipe is baked on a sheet pan in the oven at 425 degrees F. The maximum heat for olive oil is 425, and avocado oil has a heat point of 480 for unrefined and 520 for refined. Coconut oil has a high heat point too but you would have to melt it first to coat the brussels sprouts. That being said, olive oil and avocado oil are an excellent choice for cooking brussels sprouts and other vegetables.
Ingredients needed to roast brussels sprouts
- About 2 pounds of brussels sprouts, ends sliced off and cut in half.
- Seasonings of salt, pepper and fresh thyme leaves for after roasting.
- Olive oil or avocado oil because a little healthy fat makes these delicious!
The longer these brussels sprouts bake in the oven the crispier they become. Some of the layers of these baby cabbage circles may flake off and become more burned. I actually love them that way! So bake them for about 30-35 minutes or longer if want them to have a slightly charred texture (although watch carefully by the minute that they do not burn too much).
Enjoy these for the holidays! Here are a few more brussels sprouts recipes you may also enjoy:
- Sweet and Spicy Sauteed Brussels Sprouts
- Caramelized Bacon Balsamic Brussels Sprouts by Get Inspired Every Day
- Pomegranate Salad With Persimmon and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad With Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash
- Brussels Sprouts Bake With Bacon and Cheese Sauce by Where Is My Spoon
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat the oven 425 degrees F. Soak the brussels sprouts first in lightly salted water for 10-20 minutes. Cut the base or the stem ends of the brussels sprouts, pulling off any yellow outer leaves. Slice each one in half.
- Place the brussels sprouts on a baking sheet. Drizzle oil on top, salt and pepper. With hands, mix to coat the brussels sprouts completely.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes flipping halfway or about every 10 minutes if it starts to burn. Remove from oven and add fresh thyme leaves. Optional to add a freshly grated Parmesan or nutritional yeast on top.