Healthier gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe with a flaky crust and custard filling that melts in your mouth! Not only is it gluten-free, it is also a dairy-free pumpkin pie made without evaporated milk and using coconut sugar.
There is nothing more decadent than creamy, rich pumpkin pie and the aromas of pumpkin spices filling a home. Well, maybe a chocolate mousse dessert, but this gluten-free pumpkin pie comes in just as satisfying! Learn why this recipe works for a clean eating diet, and expert tips how to perfectly make a gluten-free dairy-free pumpkin pie!
Why this gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe works
This is a dairy-free and gluten-free pumpkin pie, healthy with no evaporated milk or processed sugars. This version of a gf pumpkin pie lends plenty of sweet taste and a custard filling using canned coconut milk. Try it with this gluten-free pie crust, which has raving reviews!
It gets better… even though there is the use of coconut milk and coconut sugar, it doesn’t have a coconut flavor, just loads of pumpkin and cinnamon spices on your palate!
What ingredients go into pumpkin pie
The Crust: Use either a store-bought gluten-free pie crust, or my gluten-free pie crust recipe. This is great to make in advance a day or two before to easily creating a gorgeous pumpkin pie.
The Filling: The lactose-free pumpkin pie filling is made of coconut sugar, pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling), full-fat canned coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and a little salt to pull out the flavors.
How to make gf and dairy-free pumpkin pie from scratch
STEP 1: First roll out the dough and make your pie crust, poking a few holes in the bottom so it does not puff up during baking (or use pie weights). Then bake it for 10 minutes.
STEP 2: While the pie crust bakes, make the pie filling.
STEP 3: Whisk together the wet ingredients by hand or with an electric mixer.
STEP 4: Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the prepared pie crust and bake it until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Check the pie halfway through baking and if the crust starts to burn, add a pie shield or create one with foil. This step can also be done before baking if you prefer a less browned crust.
FAQs and Expert tips
It is all about the crust. There is no gluten in pumpkin pie filling so just be cautious of the crust. If you have Celiac or a gluten sensitivity, just removing the crust will not work as gluten can still leak into the filling.
The best pumpkins for cooking are sugar pumpkins (also called pie or sweet pumpkins). They are small and round and have a beautiful orange hue. To use instead of canned pumpkin, cook the pumpkin and discard the seeds, then add the meat to a food processor to blend it to a smooth finish and use only 15 ounce.
Add a pie shield or create one with foil. This step can also be done before baking if you prefer a less browned crust.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you make this gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
- 1 gluten-free pie crust (fills a 9-inch pie) and use vegan butter for dairy-free
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¾ cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 2 eggs large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pie crust dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish and press into the bottom and sides. Crimp the edges, then prick the bottom a few times with a fork. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool while you make the filling.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, using a whisk or electric mixer, beat together the coconut sugar, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt until well blended. Pour into the cooled pie crust. Optional to cover the edges with a pie shield for a less brown crust or leave as is.
- Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with diary-free whipped cream.