Vegetarian zucchini lasagna rolls sliced into flat-shaped pasta shapes, layered with sauce, rolled and baked in a muffin pan! Easiest Italian “lasagne” dinner that is ready in less than 45 minutes and can be made ahead of time!
Got the skinny on the best lasagna recipe? Zucchini lasagna roll-ups are one healthy carb-free way to eat an Italian (almost pasta) dish! Lasagna is one of my favorite Italian dishes that makes me think of the Stouffer's brand. My husband's eyes practically pop out of his head when he spots those vibrant orange boxes at the grocery store. Right when they pop out of the oven gooey cheese stretches direct from fork to mouth. And those lasagna noodles nestled in-between fluffy ricotta cheese are just tantalizing!
Then that moment passes and all I think of is how heavy my body feels after I eat full blown cheesy noodle dishes (sorry to damper that pasta moment for you friends).
These “lightened up” zucchini lasagna rolls are just the perfect fix for any lasagna cravings. No noodles needed, it is gluten free lasagna recipe and one of the best vegetarian meals. Plus these roll-ups are pretty fun to put together!
How to make zucchini lasagna rolls:
First grab about 2-3 large zucchini's. Then slice them lengthwise pretty thin. You will want to make sure they are thin so that they roll. If the zucchini is too thick it will break. No worries if they break because you can still just stuff them into the muffin tin around the lasagna rolls. After slicing the zucchini spread them out on a baking pan or clean counter-top to add the filling.
Next mix up that creamy delicious ricotta filling! Now I think the ricotta filling is the best part! It is mild in flavor, not too tangy and has such a creamy texture and flavor. To make the ricotta filling add an egg, ricotta, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
Top each zucchini with your cheese filling then sauce.
Then start rolling those beauties up! The filling will start to fill out so lift and then flip upright right when you start to place them in each muffin cup. Throw in a few more zucchini slices in there and top with more sauce. The zucchini lasagna rolls only need about 30 minutes to bake.
Each lasagna roll scoops out so pretty and can be displayed on plates in the shape of rose flowers! I love to make this early mornings or the night before and add it to a pie dish after it is cooked. Then cover and when dinner time rolls around just pop it in the oven at 325 for about 20 minutes. For use we have leftovers since there is only two adults and two little's eating so any left-overs went well as a pizza topping a few nights later!
Skinny Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
- 2-3 large zucchini's
- 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons of milk or dairy-free milk
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- basil for garnish
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Prepare a silicone muffin pan by spraying it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Slice off the ends of the zucchini and then slice (very thin about ⅛ - ¼ inch thick) horizontally. Set aside the rounded exterior slices to add as fillers in the muffin cups.
- On a baking pan lined with parchment paper lay out the zucchini slices to total 12.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg. Add the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, milk, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- On each zucchini slice layer with about 2 tablespoons of ricotta mixture, followed by 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce spread across. Roll up each zucchini holding it horizontal till it is over the muffin cup. Then place upright. Continue to fill all 12 muffin cups. Add extra zucchini pieces into the zucchini rolls and top with more ricotta and pizza sauce.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes to settle then scoop each muffin tin onto a plate or display in upright rolls on a large platter. Garnish with extra cheese and basil.