Nothing says summer like fresh strawberries and blueberries and combined with these tasty scones flavored with cardamom – you’ll have party food people won’t stop talking about!
My mom made these Cardamom Cherry Pecan Scones for my sister’s bridal shower and I kept eating them for days! When I first made these I used cherries and the second time round I only had cranberries to use – both have tasted amazing. One thing to remember when making scones is they need to be mixed by hand. If you use a mixer they will turn out flat like a cookie as they become over-mixed (I found out the hard way and ended up making them three times until I figured out this was the cause!)
I also made low fat with nonfat Greek yogurt instead of butter! These Cardamom Cherry Pecan Scones are so fluffy and delicious!
Before the recipe ~ a few more red, white and blue ideas from my sisters Nautical Themed Bridal Shower. Happy 4th of July!
These freeze well. Serve them with cherry jam! What are your 4th of July plans and favorite foods to make?
- 3 cups (white) spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup dried cherries or cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat (don’t spray or oil).
- Place the flour into a large mixing bowl, and add cane sugar, baking powder, cardamom, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside. In a separate, smaller bowl, lightly beat the egg. Whisk in the buttermilk, Greek yogurt and vanilla, and add to the flour mixture. Stir to combine. Gently fold in the dried fruit and pecans.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the dough into balls and drop on your lined baking sheet a couple inches apart from each other. Sprinkle sugar on top. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Wait 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.