Simple cauliflower rice fajita burrito made with roasted red peppers, arugula and feta plus 5 more delicious cauliflower rice recipes. What makes this one of the best cauliflower rice recipes is the creamy coleslaw dressing! Vegetarian or made with grilled chicken, it's delicious.
Holy moly it has been a hot summer day in our house! Because of that I have the great excuse to not cook anything super fancy. Preferring nothing to do with my oven being on. It is all grilling and stove top over here, how about you? That usually entails some form of a burrito or taco dinner.
Kids are obsessed, I mean OBSESSED with burritos! That goes for husbands too. At least for us that is the case. Anytime we head out to dinner the request from Chase and Curren is “bean and cheese burrito please!” Even if we are not going out to dinner, that is the case. After all, you are what you eat so how much more can these kiddos handle?! Especially since there are no veggies in most conventional kids burritos.
I did not raise little burrito babes! Now comes the AWWW moment!
The cauliflower rice burrito! I am totally obsessed with this homemade coleslaw dressing from my broccoli salad with grapes and pecans recipe. I use it for everything! Including salad dressing, veggie dips, taco spreads and drizzled over veggie packed burritos.
Cauliflower rice is a spectacular way to get more vegetables in your diet without feeling like a rabbit eating lettuce. A beautiful head of cauliflower cabbage can be shaved into small rice-like grains and used in place of rice or quinoa. The consistency is a soft and fluffy tiny grain without the carbohydrates!
Cauliflower rice recipes are awesome! And for this recipe it is basically a giant bowl of vegetables that are small enough the kids will eat. Just drown it in lots of cheddar cheese instead of feta if you prefer. But oh yea, my kids are eating and love it! In fact we made it about three times this past week.
If you are vegetarian, just don’t add any chicken strips to this cauliflower rice fajita burrito. It tastes just as good without it because the creamy coleslaw dressing is the perfect topping on the cake! If it were a cake. Ok, lets pretend you are eating cake.
Alright, back to the delicious burrito.
When cauliflower rice became a “thing” I started making it at home for pizza crust. Then when I saw Trader Joe’s started carrying organic cauliflower rice in their frozen section, this was a no brainer! It is in my freezer at all times for on-the-go or easy dinners. Dinners that are effortless, delicious and take less than 30 minutes to make. Usually consisting of a toddler on one hip and the other one causing a ruckus somewhere in the other room.
If you are not so lucky to find ready-made cauliflower rice at a local grocery store or you have a plethora of cauliflower growing in your garden here are a few tips on how to make cauliflower rice. Just so you don't have to search all over the internet for cauliflower rice recipes.
Where to buy cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice can be found at most grocery stores in the freezer section or with cold vegetables. Trader Joe’s has it both raw and frozen. The frozen one there is organic, which I have also found organic at Costco. But if you have the time it is so easy to make at home.
How to make cauliflower rice:
Wash and soak the cauliflower in fresh water. Using a box cheese grater with medium holes, grate the cauliflower as you would cheese. Or pulsing a cauliflower head in large chunks at a time in the food processor until it becomes a “rice” or grain.
If you plan to cook the rice boil lightly in a large pot. First fill the pot with about an inch of water and bring it to a boil. Add the cauliflower “rice” and cover. Cook about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer. Perfect to use in cauliflower pizza crust or sauteed.
What can be made with cauliflower rice?
Some of the best gluten free, high fiber, vegetable packed recipes come from using vegetables as the base. Just like pasta is so delicious with a bunch of zoodles (zucchini noodles) in it. There are tons of cauliflower rice recipes to be made such as pizza crust, in place of quinoa, rice and couscous in salads and burritos.
Cauliflower Rice Recipes
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe
- Cauliflower Rice Paleo Fritters
- Chimichurri Sauce Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Cauliflower Nachos by Eating Well
- Cheesy Cauliflower Rice and Broccoli Bake by Minimalist Baker
Sometimes when I am feeling … let's call it fluffier, and on carbohydrate overload, I love to eat these cauliflower rice fajita burritos… well, without the tortilla. Just skip the carbs, load up on lots of arugula and drizzle tons of this amazing homemade coleslaw dressing!
Cauliflower Rice Fajita Burritos
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 – 10 oz. bag of frozen organic cauliflower rice Trader Joe’s
- 1 – 16 oz. bag of frozen red yellow and green bell pepper strips (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 chicken breast cooked and cut into strips or frozen cooked grilled chicken strips (if vegetarian just leave out)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 cups of baby arugula
- ½ cup Feta Crumbles
- 6 gluten free tortillas
- ½ cup of Coleslaw Dressing
- COLESLAW DRESSING:
- ½ cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp. lemon
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, milk, lemon, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside to drizzle on top of burritos.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan on the stove on medium high. Add the frozen cauliflower, frozen peppers, salt and pepper. Mix continuously for 5 minutes. Add the chicken strips and heat 5 more minutes until vegetables are thawed and any extra juice is evaporated.
- Heat the oven at 200 Degrees F. Place 6 tortillas in the oven for 1 minute until slightly heated.
- Made the burritos by adding 1 scoop of the cauliflower and pepper mixture to the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle each with feta cheese, arugula and coleslaw dressing.