Wholesome gluten-free biscotti cookie recipe topped with dairy-free chocolate and crunchy pistachios to sooth a cookie craving! Fabulous to enjoy for your next tea party or holiday cookie exchange.
If you have been an avid reader here, you might notice that I just jumped from cleansing juice drinks to tasty cookies. My ultimate goal is to bring both to you just in time to for the holidays. That way you can plan your gluten-free holiday cookie tray and pre-plan a fabulous body cleanse to start in January after all the holiday treats!
Let me tell you, these gluten-free biscotti’s are delicious any time of the year and are made with wholesome ingredients that won’t break a “cheat day”, even when you hit January's diet.
These gluten-free biscotti cookies are made with gluten-free flours, dairy-free chocolate, topped with crunchy pistachios, almond and vanilla flavors and made with better-for-you sugars.
Biscotti’s are one of my favorite treats for an afternoon tea or coffee break, to serve for happy hour with friends and to enjoy as a delicate dessert after dinner. I once thought they were hard to make at home, but they are actually quite simple to create.
The secret is, just bake them twice! That little extra time makes them all-the-more delicious. You can even create your own variations of flavors with this basic biscotti recipe.
How to make gluten-free biscotti cookies
Combine the wet ingredients in one bowl and they dry ingredients in a separate large bowl. Mix them together well then with your hands form the dough into two 11-inch long logs that are 4-inches wide. You will need to wet your hands to form the dough, and continue to wet them until the dough stretches to 11 x 4 inches.
Bake them according to the printable directions. Remove them from the oven and slice them then bake them again.
Once they cool, dip the gluten-free biscotti cookies into melted chocolate and sprinkle them with pistachio nuts or another of your favorite nuts, chopped.
Flavor substitutes for biscotti's
In these gluten-free biscotti’s I use a combination of almond and vanilla flavoring. You can also use just vanilla, almond, anise, orange, lemon or pistachio flavoring. Want a bit of crunch? Add an additional ½ cup of chopped nuts, dried fruit or both into the dough prior to baking. Optional nuts and dried fruits include:
- almond slivers
- macadamia nuts
- orange zest
I hope you enjoy these cookies as we are this year for the holidays!
More gluten-free cookie recipes:
- Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (Bakery-Style)
- Cookie Party Time! Easier Healthier Gluten-Free Cookies For Kids To Make
- Gluten-Free Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Healthy Gluten-Free Cookies – check them all out!
Gluten-Free Biscotti Cookie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the gluten-free flour mix, almond meal, potato starch, baking powder, xanathan gum and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla and almond extract until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix to form a dough. May need to use hands to blend the dough. Leave the dough to set briefly for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and cut it in half. Form each half into a 11-by-4-inch log. To do so you will need to wet your hands- add a bit of water to your hands to flatten and form the top of the dough and prevent it from being sticky. Continue to add water as needed.
- Bake until slightly browned for 30-35 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes of cooling, cut the logs into 1-inch thick diagonal slices. Bake until slightly browned, another 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Set the baking sheet with parchment paper aside.
- In a small glass microwaveable bowl, microwave the chocolate chunks on high for 30 to 60 seconds, just until it starts to melt. Stir to completely melt. Dip one side of the biscotti into the melted chocolate then place back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each cookie with chocolate with the pistachios. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.