Turmeric Lemonade is a low-glycemic refreshing anti-inflammatory drink, (Curcumin Lemonade) infused with strawberries and mint leaves for enhanced antioxidant healing properties!
There comes a time in every little child's life where a lemonade stand on the corner of the street is a must. The wood has been cut, the table is carved and the paint is laid out to paint the sign reading “Lemonade 50 Cents”. Tons of Meyer lemons are bouncing around in a fresh pitcher of sugar water as the suns intense heat scorches down on the bodies of pedestrians passing by. Turmeric Lemonade is ready to serve the neighborhood!
The child awaits proudly at his or her grand opening event showcasing their hard work. Squeezing juicy citrus fruit into organic juice is quite refreshing but does take a bit of patience to make sure the seeds do not leak into that fresh juice! Low and behold your first customer arrives and you and your child feel so proud to offer a delicious raw juice that is incredibly cleaning and refreshing! Better yet it is most likely the first experience for your child of running their own business and reaping the rewards of getting paid for hard work creating something. For the child they just made their first buck or two from lemonade which will soon be wasted away at another toy later in the afternoon that will only get played with for a day or two! At least they know they worked for it!
Man I love summer and I LOVE lemonade! Probably because it is one my fondest childhood memories and even into adulthood as my mom always made the best homemade lemonade. But let us ramp up that lemonade a bit and add some extra healing, anti-inflammatory, natural depression and anxiety medicine to it! Time for strawberry turmeric lemonade sweetened with low-glycemic Xylitol!
You heard right my friends, a natural way to calm depression and anxiety is with turmeric! So if your kiddos have a bit of anxiety with new situations in life, starting school, camps, or entering any new social situation- I urge you to try this deliciously sweet drink and offer it to them. And if you yourself are suffering from depression and anxiety (who doesn't…am I right?!?) then let's get to grating some turmeric and squeezing some citrus fruit!
The other amazing ingredient that I mentioned is Xylitol. I like to use Xylitol for about everything (or maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar) but especially in this turmeric lemonade. Xylitol from a birch tree is most natural and has a low glycemic index meaning it will not spike sugar levels that lead to sugar plummets and energy meltdowns. Winning for any parent, right!?!
Xylitol is actual good for teeth and strengthens them. Ironically, my oldest has “soft teeth” and recently we found out he has 8 cavities and needs two root canals in his baby teeth! So I am dropping 3k on teeth that will fall out in about 5 years! Needless to say we are upping our daily teeth brushing skills and chewing gum with Xylitol to hopefully help. Drinking turmeric lemonade-I don't even blink since the sugar is na-tur-al baby!!!
What is Turmeric:
Turmeric is a root in the ginger family. It is a spice (gives curry spice its yellow coloring) that comes from a plant and is most commonly used in Asian and Indian foods. Curcumin is the main ingredient in turmeric which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a high antioxidant. Other names for turmeric include: Curcuma, Curcuma aromatica, Curcuma domestica, Curcumae longa, Curcumae Longae Rhizoma, Curcumin, Curcumine, Curcuminoid, Curcuminoïde, Curcuminoïdes, Curcuminoids, Halada, Haldi, Haridra, Indian Saffron and Nisha, Pian Jiang Huang.
How The Health Benefits of Turmeric Can Save Your Life:
Turmeric is one of the worlds most healing spices and has grown widely popular in recent years. It is a root that can be shaved and added to soups and food, found in dry spices at your local grocery stores and also comes in a capsule for that can easily be consumed on a daily basis. Just be sure to look for (and consume) turmeric with black pepper as black pepper helps the body to absorb the nutrients.
Turmeric aids in reducing inflammation although inflammation is actually a good thing in the body as it helps the body to fight off foreign invaders and repairs damage within the body. It is also incredible for healing and aiding the body in things such as a tumor, cysts, stomach ulcers, heart disease, metabolic disorders, cancer and Alzheimer's disease. This powerful spice also helps decrease anxiety and depression.
- Depression. Early research suggests that taking curcumin, a chemical found in turmeric, twice daily for 6 weeks is as effective as the antidepressant medication fluoxetine in people with depression. -source
How to Make Natural Homemade Lemonade:
Most lemonade recipes call for tons of sugar and a bit of lemon juice.
Not this lemonade recipe!
To make natural homemade turmeric lemonade first gather your ingredients:
- Organic lemons, preferably Meyers lemons which have the juiciest most flavorful centers!
- Use fresh drinking, filtered or spring water
- Natural sugars such as Xylitol, maple syrup or honey
- Extra flavors: Adding other fruits such as strawberries, oranges or peaches can add a twist to your everyday lemonade. Plus you get a bonus of extra vitamin C and antioxidants!
- Add spices or oils! Add orange oil or turmeric spices, black pepper, cayenne pepper, or lavender oil adds even more of a twist to lemonade.
How to Make a Lemonade Stand:
Lemonade stands are so much fun for kids! Plus it teaches how to run a business and manage money. Do they want to save their earnings, invest it into more products or spend it? Children can learn so much from this fun experience and even have a blast building their own lemonade structure!
- Get a pop up table and a few chairs for the sellers.
- Set up the table and put a table cloth on top to cover.
- Get a good size piece of rectangle cardboard and white or black paint and have the kids write “Lemonade” and then their price per cup.
- Either put their sign up in the front of the table or get two large poles that reach higher than the table for passer-by-ers to see. Then place the poles into the ground on either side of the table and stretch the sign across attached to the poles by duct tape or rope on/through the four sides of the cardboard.
- Have your gallons of lemonade (hopefully strawberry turmeric lemonade) ready with cups and napkins.
- Don't forget a jar with change for money and any homemade baked goods you would like to also sell.
Turmeric is one of our family favorite spices (along with cinnamon and ginger) that I can sneak into most foods. If you read my story on my About Delightful Mom Food Page about infertility due to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome you will know I love anything holistic. I really think turmeric is one of the most glorious nutrients with substantially high benefits to healing the body. I drink it in golden milk a few times a week, sneak it into eggs, pasta sauces, oatmeal, cookies, muffins and crockpot chicken! And when a good raw detox juice is needed this turmeric lemonade is a definite must to help detox the liver!
Cheers and drinks on me, friends! xoxox
Wish you could just grab it through the screen it is so delicious!
Turmeric Strawberry Lemonade
- 7 cups filtered water
- 4 lemons
- 1 cup strawberries sliced and stems removed
- 1 orange
- 1 cup Xylitol
- 1-2 teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Fresh mint leaves
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of Xylitol to a saucepan. Heat on medium low until the sugar is diluted into the water. Remove from heat and add the sugared water to a large pitcher along with the other 6 cups of water. Add juice of 4 lemons, juice of 1 orange, strawberry slices, turmeric and black pepper. Mix well!
- Add the peels of the lemon and oranges and refrigerate to chill 30 minutes or more. Remove the peels after 30 minutes. Serve over ice and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0 mg||0 %|
|Potassium 34 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28 g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||2 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 0 g||1 %|
|Vitamin A||1 %|
|Vitamin C||32 %|