No takeout order would be complete without a side of my new favorite Chinese appetizer, Vegetarian Chinese Potsticker Appetizers (or Gyoza). But I’m not always feeling fancy enough to spend the calories and money to have these served up from a restaurant so I make these at home… all the time!
A few weeks ago I had dinner with some of my favorite ladies at a potluck style holiday occasion. It was with my Mom’s and Mentors group where we all brought a little something to add to a Chinese Menu. I signed up to bring an appetizer. I don’t usually make Chinese food, so I scoped out Pinterest for recipes in which most of what I found were fried or super creamy and heavy dishes. Not my style. Chicken wontons – easiest and the best fried chicken wontons recipes I found would have been great to make, but too heavy with our main dish being a salad. I like light, flavorful, savory dishes where you feel amazing by the foods you eat, not bloated.
The solution to the problem of looking for a healthy Chinese appetizer is pan seared to perfection vegetables wrapped in a light rice wrap. This is a simplified version that makes for a great party appetizer or light entree. Each “dumpling” has an outer layer of crispy rice paper, with a delicious layer of ginger and onions flavored with minced garlic, tofu, carrots and cabbage sauteed together on the inside. Dipped in sweet soy sesame garlic sauce this Vegetarian Chinese Potsticker Appetizers recipe is dangerously addictive!
Steps for Vegetarian Chinese Potsticker Appetizers:
- Chop and grate vegetables at home. Don’t bother buying store bought pre-chopped and sliced vegetables. They won’t taste the same as fresh organic wholesome foods. If you buy the freshest organic produce it is the best bet for the most flavorful dish.
- Saute vegetables to maximum flavor, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of filling into lightly soaked rice wrap.
- Wrap like a burrito- bottom up, then sides over then top up until sealed.
- Add layered side down to a hot pan heated on medium low heat and let it get crispy about 3-5 minutes on each side.
Sometimes I double up the recipe and add any leftover fillings and sauce to gluten free spaghetti noodles with baked cod mixed in. Makes a delicious second meal with leftovers!
Takes 30 mins including wrapping and searing crisp. Super crispy & yummy, get the easy recipe and make the easy recipe. I get our Tempura Tofu at Trader Joe’s but you can find this great Tempura Tofu Spring Vegetables recipe to add as your base. Other options include pork or ground turkey for the hearty carnivores protein. Or simply just do vegetables! Either way, promise you won’t regret it! xo!
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 Package of rice wraps
- 8 ounces Tempura Tofu
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 5 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons Ginger minced
- ½ cup shredded Carrot
- ½ cup Crimini Mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups of Napa Cabbage chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- dash of salt
- FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
- 4 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Garlic cloves pressed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 Green onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- FOR THE POTSTICKERS OR GYOZA:
- Heat 1 teaspoon of Sesame Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the garlic, onion, cabbage, and mushrooms until the cabbage is very soft. About 5-7 minutes. Add Tempura Tofu and season with salt to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. While cooling have a large pie plate with warm water. Soak 2 rice wraps at a time for about 1 minute until soft. Transfer to a plate and add 1 teaspoon of filling into the middle of the wrapper and fold the wrapper over the filling. Pinch the edges to seal and then make little folds and squeeze them together along the edge of the the Gyoza. Or wrap like a burrito: bottom folded in, sides folded in, then bottom folded up to seal.
- Lay the Gyoza on a tray and make sure they do not touch each other as they are very sticky.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet with a little Sesame Oil on medium low. Put the Gyoza's on the hot pan and brown them on both sides about 3-5 minutes each side.