Moist and tender in each bite, these Healthy Ghostly Chocolate Marshmallow Treats have no added salt and are gluten free.
Connecting with a moms group after my babies were born has been a saving grace. The unconditional love, friendships and knowledge us moms share with each other and watching our kids grow up together is special. We all grow and support one another through the challenging years of having young ones at home. A mother’s job is incredible and humble. It is being a kids rock, the foundation that keeps them strong, their caretaker, doctor, cleaner, servant, cook, ref, cheerleader… you get the point. The list feels like it never ends. And that is o.k., I don’t want it to end. I want these times of my children needing me and us caring for each other to last forever. And connecting with other moms just makes a community stronger. Two groups that I have been involved with are Mamatoto and PEP in Santa Barbara – both great organizations to become involved with if you are a new or existing parent.
This past weekend we celebrated the mark of our Mamatoto babies turning 4! Since we celebrate in October it only felt festive to make something focused on a Halloween theme. Big C requests anything chocolate so that is what we made: Healthy Chocolate Marshmallow Treats!
The delicacy and secret of a healthy dessert is creating a delicious treat with minimal sugars and salt. But then again, I feel like everything is pretty “healthy” when it is made from scratch and consumed in moderation. Poor Big C has a hard time with this when it comes to chocolate! He. Just. Cant. Stop! So when we made these I had to be helicopter momma making sure he was not sneaking any from the fridge before the party. Then at the party, helicopter again since that is all he wanted to eat. That assured me this is a tasty healthy recipe treat to make anytime and especially to serve as a Halloween party snack!
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 package (10 oz) Large Marshmallows
- 6 cups rice cereal
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- candy sticks and silly eye candy
- In a large saucepan melt butter and coconut oil over low heat. Add large marshmallows and cocoa powder and stir on low heat until completely melted.
- Add rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Put cereal mixture onto parchment paper. Let cool about 10 minutes. Add mini marshmallows and chocolate chips and mix with hands to combine.
- Using buttered hands, shape cereal mixture into 2 inch balls. Poke with candy sticks and add eye candy. Refrigerate for 15 minutes on parchment paper lined baking sheet.