A fun twist to pigs in a blanket, how fun are these mummies?!! Crispy Phyllo Wrapped Hot Dog Mummies Courtesy of Food Network Kitchen are so much fun to make for Halloween party food!
I have been wanting to make a fun Halloween dish with hot dogs such as healthier pigs in a blanket using low fat crescent rolls squeezed around turkey hot dogs. And when I came across Pinterest ideas for Halloween food ideas and peeked at this recipe from Food Network Kitchen, it was a must make! I mean really, look at these cutie mummy faces! The original idea is to create eyes with ketchup or mustard but I wanted to use the googly Wilton candy eyes found at Michaels. These cuties are going to be served up on our pumpkin decorating Happy Hour party today (think gingerbread house decorating only on pumpkins instead of small houses!). You can make these crispy phyllo (or fillo) wrapped hot dog mummies ahead and just bake them right before a holiday party. One thing that did occur is since I chose to use turkey hot dogs for a healthy recipe version, they flared up super large in the oven, but did even out in size once they cooled.
Be creative with Halloween mummies with eyes looking left or right! The less perfect these mummies are, the more fun!
- One 16-ounce package bun-size hot dogs 8 hot dogs, each halved crosswise
- 2 ounces Cheddar cut into 16 thin slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 4 ounces 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Ketchup yellow mustard, barbecue sauce, candy eyeballs or your favorite dipping sauce, for serving and decorating
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut a slit in each hot dog piece and stuff with a slice of cheese. Set aside. Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper in a small bowl.
- Working with one sheet of phyllo at a time and keeping the rest covered under a damp towel or paper towels, lay a phyllo sheet on a large cutting board or counter and lightly brush with melted butter. Lightly sprinkle with some of the spice mix and fold in half lengthwise. Brush the top with more melted butter and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Using 2 pieces of stuffed hot dogs per phyllo sheet, wrap half of the strips around each piece of hot dog to create a mummy look. Leave a small section of hot dog exposed towards the top so it looks like the top part of the face peeking out from the phyllo wrappings. Don't worry about frayed edges or tears-- it will add to the mummy look.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining phyllo, melted butter, spice mix and hot dogs. Remelt the butter if it cools down too much while forming the mummies.
- Bake until the phyllo is crisp and golden brown, about 15-25 minutes. If desired, dot ketchup or mustard eyes on each mummy using a toothpick and serve with extra sauces for dipping. Or make eyes with candy eyeballs.