When I was growing up we never ate pasta noodles made of vegetables. Pasta dishes were handcrafted homemade with strands of noodles hanging everywhere! When my grandparents lived with us in New Jersey, my nanny and mom would stay up late nights making fresh pasta. I would wake up to find my dads office filled with strings of noodles dangling everywhere to dry. As a kid that was so much fun to see! Boy was it delicious but boy was it fully carb loaded! Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against eating REAL pasta noodles every now and then. It just feels so good supplementing the noodles for vegetables for a lighter detoxing version! It is great how clean one feels after eating a meal such as Spaghetti Squash Pasta With Butternut Sauce. All vegetables with a bit of rich creamy Parmesan cheese!
I have made this before roasting all the ingredients, but this time I decided to make it in the crock pot. The butternut squash, onion and sage simmered in vegetable broth for hours. I saved the broth to use for bean soup the next night. Then took out the vegetables and just puree it with Parmesan cheese. It is so easy and quick to make and the spaghetti squash only takes 35 minutes to roast.
Nanny would be so upset with me if she knew the noodles were not homemade, but proud that we are all eating clean and getting our vegetables! If you prefer to roast everything, just place vegetables in the oven at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes sprinkled with olive oil salt and pepper (then puree squash, onion, garlic with cheese and buttered sage). Enjoy!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, chopped (about 24 oz)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 12 sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper
- Using a crock pot, add vegetable broth, garlic, onion, 6 sage leaves whole and butternut squash. Heat on low for 4-6 hours. Do steps 2 on after crockpot cooking is complete.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. To roast spaghetti squash, slice in half lengthwise. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper bake face down for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly about 10 minutes. Remove the seeds and using a fork scrape the sides down with a fork to break up the squash into noodles. Put noodles in a dish.
- In a medium saucepan add 1 Tbsp. butter and 6 sage leaves, chopped. Saute on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until fragrant. Pour the fragrant butter into a blender and set aside.
- Once crockpot cooking is complete, remove vegetables (butternut squash, onion and garlic) and place in a blender with the fragrant butter. Discard or save the broth for soup for another day. Add to the blender Parmesan cheese and a dash of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add more salt to taste. Spread sauce over noodles and serve immediately.
Spaghetti Squash Butternut Sauce Pasta Nutrition Facts
Recipe total Servings 4
Calories 382 Total Fat 17.99 g Saturated Fat 12.01g Monosaturated Fat 5.24g Polysaturated Fat 0.73g Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g Fiber 7.9 g Sugar 6.9 g Protein 23.6 g Cholesterol 46.18 mg Calcium 955 mg Iron 2.81 mg Potassium 719 mg Sodium 1743 mg Zinc 2.4 mg Thiamin 0.27 mg Riboflavin 0.27 mg Niacin 2.62 mg Vitamin B6 0.7 mg Vitamin C 36.3 mg Vitamin B12 0.69 Ug Vitamin A 16877 IU Vitamin E 3.05 mg Vitamin K 4.3 Ug Points 8 Points Plus 10
*The nutritional values are determined by the total ingredients divided by the number of servings for each recipe. Serving sizes may vary. The formula used here for points was obtained from public sources and is an empirical match to Weight Watchers calculators, but it is not an “official” Weight Watcher’s calculator. Read more at http://myrecipemagic.com/recipe/recipedetail/spaghetti-squash-butternut-sauce-pasta#8MMrQdIk9EksXyX5.99