Spaghetti Squash Pasta with roasted Butternut Squash Sauce is nutty in flavor and creamy in texture! And it is vegetarian, low in calories, healthy and gluten-free!
When I was growing up we never ate pasta noodles made of vegetables. Pasta dishes were handcrafted homemade with strands of noodles hanging everywhere! When my grandparents lived with us in New Jersey, my nanny and mom would stay up late nights making fresh pasta. I would wake up to find my dads office filled with strings of noodles dangling everywhere to dry. As a kid that was so much fun to see! Boy was it delicious but boy was it fully carbohydrate loaded! Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against eating REAL pasta noodles every now and then. It just feels so good supplementing the noodles for vegetables for a lighter detoxing version! It is great how clean one feels after eating a meal such as Spaghetti Squash Pasta With Butternut Squash Sauce. All vegetables with a bit of rich creamy Parmesan cheese!
If you prefer a vegan dish just supplement the Parmesan cheese for vegan cheese.
Roasting the vegetables brings out a delicious natural sweetness in this spaghetti squash pasta recipe! You can also throw everything in a a slow cooker to cook with about 6 cups of vegetables broth. Just save the broth for another dish when it is done cooking for 4 hours. Then take out the vegetables and puree it with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and the sage butter.
Nanny would be so upset with me if she knew the noodles were not homemade, but proud that we are all eating clean and getting our vegetables! The best thing is kids love this spaghetti squash pasta because the sauce is so creamy, slightly sweet and they can play with the stringy noodles:-) Enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash Pasta With Butternut Squash SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese or vegan cheese
- 5 large sage leaves
- 1 Tablespoon ghee
- ¾ teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F. Roast the spaghetti squash and butternut squash by slicing both in half lengthwise then scooping out the center seeds with a spoon. Drizzle olive oil over the inside and place face down on a baking sheet. Add a drizzle of water to the pan. Wrap the onion and garlic cloves with foil and add to the pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted to the squash feels tender inside. During baking remove the garlic and onion after about 20 minutes. When the squash is done cooking, remove the squash from the oven and let the squash cool slightly about 10 minutes until it can be easily handled.
- Using a fork scrape the sides down of the spaghetti squash to break up the squash into noodles. Put noodles in a dish, cover and set aside while you make the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan add 1 tablespoon of ghee and 3 sage leaves and sauté on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Pour the fragrant butter into a blender and add the Parmesan cheese, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Remove the butternut squash from the skin by scooping it with a spoon and add it to the blender too.
- Blend until smooth. Add more salt to taste. Spread sauce over noodles and serve immediately. Garnish with 2 extra sage leaves chopped.
Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Butternut Squash Sauce Nutrition Facts:
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 20 g||31 %|
|Saturated Fat 12 g||60 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 48 mg||16 %|
|Sodium 1393 mg||58 %|
|Potassium 192 mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||6 %|
|Sugars 1 g|
|Protein 26 g||52 %|
|Vitamin A||60 %|
|Vitamin C||10 %|