This delicious and Creamy Vegan White Bean Soup is a combination of white beans, kale and a hint of mustard zing! Perfect for a cold night and under 400 calories per serving!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Packed with fiber and loads of Vitamin A – Fiber helps to regulate the body and flush from toxins. Each serving is 9 grams of fiber. It is also loaded with Vitamin A which supports healthy eye sight.
- Kid-friendly– anything kid-friendly is a favorite in our home! This meal is higher in carbs due to white beans and potatoes, which are great for kids. This vegan white bean soup serves 8, but you can enjoy smaller portions and serve it with a side salad to cut down on the carbs. Or what I do is if I know I am having a carb-heavy meal such as this or pasta, I cut them out during the day and focus on lean protein and vegetables. It is rich enough that a little goes a long way!
- Vegan + Dairy-Free + Gluten-Free + Allergy-Friendly – this dish meets all allergy-free expectations.
WHAT GOES INTO THIS RECIPE
This vegan white bean soup can be made in the slow cooker or over the stovetop and I share both methods of cooking with you. White beans, fresh kale, and red or Yukon potatoes are the bulk of the recipe. If making it vegan is not a concern for you, the recipe calls for vegetable broth and maple syrup but you can use chicken broth or honey if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CREAMY WHITE BEAN SOUP RECIPE
The recipe below has instructions for both slow cooker and stove top. This is a great white bean kale soup recipe to toss into the slow cooker and have it ready in 6-8 hours. Or, make it on the stove and enjoy in 35 minutes. You can leave the soup with texture or blend it to a smooth finish, which is what little kids prefer these days😊.
When making this vegan white bean soup in the slow cooker or crockpot, add everything except the olive oil and cook it for 6-8 hours on low. Then puree it in drizzle with olive oil, Dijon mustard and parsley. To make this white bean potato soup on the stove first sautee the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic on the stove. This give the most delicious flavor. Then add the broth and other ingredients and simmer until the potatoes are soft. You can serve it as is seasoned with salt or puree first before serving.
The best types of potatoes to consume are red potatoes and Yukon golden potatoes. Skip russet potatoes as they process different in the body and are more starchy.
Potatoes kept me fed through college. I would always order them out or stuff them at home with shrimp and lettuce for an inexpensive dinner. They are also really great to add to soups to make them naturally creamy and thick without dairy.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for an easy dinner another evening. Simply pour any extra soup into a freezer Zip-lock baggie and press out any air before sealing. Store it flattened and you can layer any soup this way which allows it to thaw quicker.
Hearty Vegetable Soup – a delicious and light soup the whole family can enjoy!
How To Cook Black Beans (Slow Cooker and Stovetop) – use this same method to cook uncooked raw white beans!
BEST Tomato Basil Soup – another family favorite soup that is so easy to make with fresh tomatoes!
If you made this creamy vegan white bean soup recipe from DelightfulMomFood I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Vegan White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 16 red potatoes
- 3 cups kale chopped first before measuring
- 1 15 ounce can white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup parsley freshly chopped + more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- salt to taste
- Add all the ingredients except olive oil into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Let cool slightly then puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Serve into bowls and garnish with extra Dijon mustard, olive oil and fresh parsley.
- In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes turning frequently until the vegetables start to soften.
- Pour in the broth, and add the potatoes, kale, beans, maple syrup, bay leaves, lemon, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, parsley, cumin, Dijon mustard, ginger, and white pepper. Cover and heat for 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Let cool slightly then puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Serve into bowls and garnish with extra Dijon mustard, the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fresh parsley.
This recipe is inspired by my friend (Lisa:-)!). We were taking a walk one afternoon and chatting about our new favorite recipes that are low fat, detoxing and healthy. She and her husband own two fitness clubs in which she has been working on a meal plan program for clients (on top off being a full time mama!). We got to talking about our favorite soups and white bean kale soup was top on the list – pureed. You don't have to puree it if you prefer it with more texture but pureed is great for families with kids!
This recipe post has been update since first published.